Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:09:29 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google

Links to details available at< /div>


Three people, including an 11-year-old and a 17-year-old, were burned from a reported methamphetamine laboratory explosion Sunday in Eau Claire.

Shortly after midnight Sunday, the Dowagiac City Police Department was sent to  Borgess-Lee Memorial Hospital after a 36-year-old female was brought to the hospital with severe chemical burns.

At approximately the same time, the Berrien County Sheriff=92s Department was sent to Lakeland Hospital in Niles, after a 17-year-old male entered the hospital for chemical burns.

During this investigation, the Dowagiac City Police Department and the Berrien County Sheriff=92s Department learned that the chemical burns to both subjects were caused by a meth lab explosion.


2 BOYS ARRESTED AFTER EXPLOSION AT SCHOOL - HAWAII NEWS - STARADVERTISER.COM, waiinews/20101123_2_boys_arrested_after_explosion_at_school.html

Two Kapolei High School students were arrested, and an employee was sent to a hospital with lightheadedness and nausea after a plastic bottle exploded in a campus restroom just before noon yesterday.

The two 14-year-old males were arrested for investigation of reckless endangering and released pending investigation, a police spokeswoman said.

The explosion, caused by what firefighters described as a "chemical pressure bomb," happened in a boys' restroom in "G" Building.

Two adults, both of whom appeared to be security guards, were treated for chemical exposure at about 1 p.m. yesterday, said Bryan Cheplic, spokesman for the city Emergency Services Department.



A teacher and three Grade 11 girls suffered minor injuries in a chemical explosion in a science lab at Brennan Catholic High School in Windsor, Ont., on Tuesday morning.

"I understand two were cut more severely than the other students, but all of them are being checked out for ringing ears and possible lacerations," said communications co-ordinator Jill Braido.

Braido said the explosion, which caused students' ears to ring, was an exothermic reaction between the ingredients potassium chlorate, manganese dioxide, sugar and glycerin.


LOCKDOWN LIFTED AT ORANGE CO. HOSPITAL - HEALTH NEWS STORY - WESH ORLANDO, http://www.wesh.c om/health/25896791/detail.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An Orange County hospital was on lockdown Tuesday afternoon because of a hazardous chemical.
Hospital officials said the lockdown was ordered at Dr. Phillips Hospital's emergency department after a patient arrived and said she had been exposed to the chemical.
"That patient is being treated. No patient care within the hospital has been affected," Dr. Phillips Hospital spokeswoman Katie Dagenais said.


HIGHWAY 59 NEAR LIBERTY, SAN JACINTO COUNTY LINE CLOSED FOR HOURS AFTER CHEMICAL TRUCK FIRE | KHOU.COM | KHOU.COM LOCAL NEWS, m/news/local/Chemical-truck-fire-closes-Highway-59-near-Liberty-San-Jacint o-County-line-110110424.html

HOUSTON=97 All northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 59 near the Liberty, San Jacinto County line were temporarily shut down Tuesday morning due to a chemical truck fire, but that has since been cleared. 
Authorities said a vehicle pulling a trailer carrying methyl- acrylate, a highly flammable chemical, toppled over around 4:50 a.m. The driver was said to be OK.


FOOTHILLS MEDIA GROUP, les/2010/11/23/simsbury/news/doc4cebff43c79b8247724726.txt

SIMSBURY - Emergency personnel responded to a chemical leak at the McLean Wellness Pool at 75 Great Pond Road at around 7:45 this morning. As of 11 a.m., fire and other officials who responded to the scene determined that the area, which is separate from the main facility, is free and clear of any potential hazard and the next step will be to fix the problem.

=93Never at any time were any residents or employees of the facility in any danger,=94 said David Bordonaro, president of McLean.



SIMSBURY, Conn. -- Two maintenance workers were taken to an area hospital after a chemical spill in Simsbury, officials said.
The spill was reported just before 9 a.m. at the McLean Adult Day Health Care Center on Hop Meadow Road.
HAZMAT officials said the substance leaked from a nearby pipe, but was contained and no one was in danger.
Two maintenance workers were taken to the hospital as a precaution.


HOMEMADE BOMBS FOUND IN LIVINGSTON MAILBOXES - WAFB CHANNEL 9, BATON ROUGE, LA |, http://www.wafb .com/Global/story.asp?S=13559321

LIVINGSTON PARISH, LA (WAFB) - It was a close call for neighbors in The Willows subdivision in Livingston Parish. Deputies said a 9-year-old boy found what they call an "ice bomb" in his mailbox.

Deputies said they found a total of five "ice bombs" in the subdivision. Three of them exploded.

They are made inside of a two liter coke bottle. That does not necessarily sound too dangerous, but it can be quite destructive when detonated.

"At like 1:15 a.m. I heard a big boom," said neighbor Brenda Gaudin. "I jumped out of my bed."

Gaudin said she dismissed the loud noise assuming it was a transformer blowing out. She later learned that "big boom" was much more.

Early Tuesday, Gaudin's 9-year-old Seth, went to check his family's mail.  "He came running back inside and he said momma there's a coke bottle in the mailbox," said Gaudin.

That coke bottle police said was an "ice bomb." It was powerful enough to blow a mailbox apart.

"If it blew up on me I could have been hurt by metal or been scratched very hard and hit hard," said Seth.


SMOKING SEMI SHUTS FREEWAY OFFRAMP - AUBURN JOURNAL, 65683.html?content_source=&amp;category_id=2&amp;search_filter =&amp;user_id=&amp;event_mode=&amp;event_ts_from=& amp;event_ts_to=&amp;list_type=&amp;order_by=&amp;order_ sort=&amp;content_class=1&amp;sub_type=&amp;town_id=

First responders treated a smoking semi-truck as a hazardous material scene Tuesday and shut down the Clipper Gap freeway offramp for most of the day.

But at about 4:30 p.m., firefighters and a hazmat team cleared the scene and the truck.

=93The truck didn=92t spill anything at all,=94 Capt. Bill Donovan with the Auburn area California Highway Patrol office said Tuesday.

Donovan said firefighters took precautionary measures after they received a call at about 10:24 a.m. that a semi-truck driver reported black smoke coming out of part of his trailer after he pulled off at the Clipper Gap Road exit.

At about 10:40 a.m., first responders shut down the Interstate 80 offramp in Applegate and said there was a =93corrosive spillage=94 and were treating it as a hazmat scene, according to the California Highway Patrol=92s website.

Donovan said the truck was carrying a mixed load and had a placard on it indicating there were corrosive materials inside.


UPDATE: PETROLEUM SPILL PARTIALLY CLOSES ROUTE 72 , s/local/story/UPDATE-Petroleum-spill-partially-closes-Route-72/24hBPX8xCkC Qi9uL3GxjOg.cspx

Route 72 is now open after crews managed to clean up everything.

According to a county dispatcher it was 35 gallons of kerosene that spilled on the roadway.

North Lebanon Township Police are still looking into what caused the spill.



D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services were dispatched shortly after 1 p.m. Friday to the corner of New York and Florida avenues Northeast, near Gallaudet University. Several people were complaining of a =93foul odor,=94 said fire department spokesman Alan Etter.

The department=92s hazardous materials squad responded but found nothing harmful. They did, however, track down the offending odor: A woman with exceptionally strong body spray.

The =93lady sprayed herself with this stuff called Hawaiian Ginger and Tropical Dream body spray, made by Calgon,=94 Etter said in an e-mail.

EMS evaluated 18 people at the scene, Etter said, but nobody went to the hospital. It was strong, apparently, but not dangerous.



DURHAM, N.C. =97 Two contractors working at Cree, Inc. in Research Triangle Park were transported to the hospital after coming into contact with hydrochloric acid on Tuesday afternoon, Bethesda Volunteer Fire Company Chief Robert Andrews said.

Crews were called to 3026 E. Cornwallis Road for a pipe burst around 3 p.m., but the issue was upgraded to an acid spill, the department said. 

The contractors immediately washed the acid off in nearby showers, which are located throughout the building as a precaution, Andrews said. They were taken to Duke University Hospital as a precaution. 

The building was evacuated when hazmat crews arrived. Andrews said the pipe that was leaking the acid was immediately shut off. 

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.