Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas
COLD SPRINGS =97 An apparent
malfunction in a gas line caused a flame to shoot nearly 30 feet into
the air tonight behind Cold Springs High School.
reported the flame did not cause damage in the area. A maintenance
worker for the school shut off the gas. Firefighters from the Cold
Springs and Bremen fire departments are at the scene with Cullman County
HAZMAT workers to investigate the situation.
officials reported that the malfunction was apparently related to an
ignitor that connects to gas lines in an area behind the gym and parking
lot behind the school.
FREEPORT, N.Y. =97 Twenty-five workers at a Long
Island packaging plant were hospitalized for exposure to carbon
Firefighters responded to the LaMar Plastic Packaging
company in Freeport Tuesday morning. The county's hazmat team determined
the carbon monoxide likely came from the plant's faulty gas-fired
Mark Stuparich (STEW'-pah-rich), a Freeport assistant
chief, says indoor air readings indicated more than 500 parts per
million of carbon monoxide. Normal levels are 5 parts per million or
less, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.
incident is under investigation.
The injuries are not
considered serious, with workers complaining of headaches, dizziness and
nausea. Along with the 25 who were hospitalized, another 20 were treated
at the scene.
potentially deadly chlorine leak at Redland Water Supply was contained
Tuesday thanks to the quick action of a retired Lufkin Fire Department
captain, according to a current Lufkin Fire official.
Grover Holst, now a water operator at Redland Water
Supply, was changing one of the chlorine tanks with his manager, Michael
Moore, when something went wrong around 11:45 a.m., according to Lufkin
Fire spokesman Capt. Steve McCool. As a cloud of toxic gas leaked into
the air, Holst put his HAZMAT training to work.
=93I had to get an air pack and went back in to shut
it off,=94 Holst said, taking a moment to cough. =93Chlorine is pretty
rough. My manager got a lot more chlorine in his lungs than I
Moore was taken by ambulance
to Memorial Medical Center-Lufkin because he was having difficulty
breathing, McCool said. He was expected to recover.
SHORE, Ky. (WSAZ) - The cause of a five-alarm fire that gutted the
historic S.M. Robertson Building remains undetermined.
1926, the building has served as a community center, as well as a
department store that sold groceries.
was a farm store that stored chemicals, pesticides and fertilizer -
all materials that led to a series of explosions that rocked the small
town. Fire literally shot across the street, with debris that broke the
windows out of another building and threw glass city blocks
PLANT FIRES WON=92T AFFECT PETRONAS CHEMICALS=92 BUSINESS, http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.as
JAYA: The fire that occurred at the aromatic plant belonging to Petronas
Chemicals Group Bhd is not expected to have any major impact on its
business; however, any prolonged closure could affect its
According to OSK Research analyst Jason Yap, the plant
is used to produce paraxylene and benzene, which make up about 20% of
forecast revenue for financial year ending March 31, 2011
BOULDER - Boulder fire officials say more than 700
gallons of flammable liquid were spilled from a manufacturing plant and
led to the evacuation of one of its buildings.
Boulder Fire Chief of Operations David Cain told the
Boulder Daily Camera the liquid did not get into any of the city's storm
or sewer water drains Monday afternoon. No injuries were
The spill happened at the
Roche Colorado plant. Cain says the liquid was a mixture of methanol and
water. He says the spill likely happened because of a faulty valve on a
pipe carrying the liquid or a pipe leak.
Roche Colorado manufactures peptides used in
Authorities in suburban Philadelphia say they believe the
spill of a chemical that smells like natural gas led hundreds of
residents to think there was a gas leak.
Township Fire Marshal Kenneth Clark says about a gallon of a substance
believed to be mercaptan (mur-CAP'-ten) spilled on Monday. The chemical
is added to natural gas to give it a detectable odor.
says a container of the substance was accidentally punctured during snow
removal at an Abington business. Strong winds carried the odor to
neighboring townships, and Clark says hundreds of residents called
authorities and utility companies.
Lansing Township in Michigan were told to stay upwind of a dangerous
chemical fire this morning.
near the Adams Plating Company in were first told to evacuate the area,
then they were told to remain inside their homes with windows and doors
sealed as tightly as possible.
materials were inside the building and local traffic was diverted from
township fire chief says the building is a total loss and they're
letting the chemicals burn out.
December 25, 2010 (CHICAGO) -- A Washington cab
passenger has been charged with manufacturing and delivering
methamphetamines after police found the drugs in his bag after he became
unresponsive in the back of a cab.
The cab driver, upset the
unconscious man could not pay the fair, drove to a North Side police
station -- prompting a hazardous materials response when the
highly-volatile drugs were found.
Joseph Hoffman, 25, of
Vancouver, Wa., was arrested at 2:08 p.m. and charged with manufacturing
and delivery of methamphetamine after a mobile meth lab was found inside
his bag, police said.
Police also found about three pounds of
methamphetamine valued at $448,800, police said.
driver arrived at the Rogers Park District police station at 6464 N.
Clark St. and told police a passenger was unresponsive in the backseat
of the cab and unable to pay to fare, police said.
called paramedics and began searching the man's bag in an attempt to
identify him, police said. While searching the bag, officers noticed a
strange odor and drug paraphernalia.
The warehouse of Goodknight Mosquito Coil and Spray at
the capital's Khilkhet had no fire-extinguishers and the workers there
were not trained to do their jobs properly.
Statements of workers and warehouse authorities vary sharply.
And mystery shrouds what actually the workers were doing in the
warehouse when it went up in flames. It is still to be ascertained what
caused the fire.
The blaze at the warehouse on Friday night killed six
workers, five on the spot, and left five others critically injured. The
deceased workers are Almas, Tofazzal, Aminul, Yusuf, Russel and Anwar.
Of them, Russel, Yusuf, Tofazzal and Aminur were of the same
The injured were having treatment at the Burn and
Plastic Surgery unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH). Six of
them were brought in early yesterday, but Anwar, 26, succumbed to his
According to sources, the fire broke out when workers,
basically labourers with little skill, were puncturing cans to let out
the chemicals and gases. The cans had expired their best-before-use
They said the liquid chemical from the punctured cans
was kept in large barrels that also caught fire, resulting in a blow
An explosion at an
industrial chemical plant east of Houston sent three workers to the
hospital on Friday.
Two of the victims were transported by helicopter with
burns to the face and neck and the third person was transported by
ambulance. All three victims were reportedly in stable
The explosion happened at
the KMCO LP chemical plant in the 16500 block of Ramsey Road near the
Crosby-Dayton Road in Crosby, Texas.
It was the result of a small fire in a reactor
for fuel additives used by oil and gas companies. The accident is
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post