Below is a job description for a biological safety/environmental health and safety professional working for a consulting firm in Needham, Massachusetts, which is located outside Boston, Massachusetts. Interested candidates should send a resume to HumanResources**At_Symbol_Here**eheinc.com.& nbsp;
Thank you for your attention regarding this matter.
Senior Scientist/Practice Group Leader
Biotechnology and Laboratories
Environmental Health and Engineering, Inc.
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Staff – Biotechnology & Laboratory EH&S Group
· Able to work in an EH&S environment overseeing a chemistry and biology research environment.
· Perform risk assessments with regards to hazardous chemicals and biological materials.
· Process applications to register studies with the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) that involve the use of recombinant Deoxyribonucleic acid (rDNA) materials, the use of infectious agents, and human gene transfer.
· Attend and participate in IBC and Laboratory Safety Committee meetings as required.
· Maintain records of serious adverse events to studies registered with IBC and research, and responses to chemical emergencies.
· Able to investigate incidents associated with a research environment and be available for after hour emergency response.
· Update written materials dealing with biological safety and laboratory EH&S (e.g. Biosafety Manual, Exposure Control Plan, Chemical Hygiene Plan, Hazard Communication, Chemical Specific Standard Operating Procedures).
· Conduct or oversee periodic inspections of laboratories by qualified personnel in accordance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute of Health (NIH) Guidelines, Department of Transportation (DOT), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), International Air Transport Association (IATA), Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MADEP), Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MADPH), Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC), Cambridge Public Health Department (CAPHD), Boston Fire Department (BFD), and Cambridge Fire Department (CFD) requirements.
· Conduct air sampling for specific materials used in a research environment (e.g., formaldehyde).
· Provide biosafety and EH&S support to biotech and research clients with regards to OSHA, CDC, NIH, DOT, DHS, IATA, MADEP, MADPH, BPHC, CAPHD, BFD, and CFD requirements.
· Prepare and/or deliver biosafety and laboratory EH&S training programs.
· Conduct periodic laboratory procedure reviews and provide EH&S training sessions specific to laboratory procedures.
· Able to assist in the shipping of hazardous materials including biological materials.
· Have the ability to travel.
· Degree: Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or related subject.
· Experience: 4-5 years in a research laboratory, clinical laboratory, or biotech industry environment; or 4-5 years working within an EH&S Department for a biotech or research facility
· Must have own vehicle and a valid driver’s license.
· Other Preferred Items: Master of Science degree in Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, or related subject. Experience working with radioactive materials or radiation safety; Registered Biosafety Professional; Member of American Biological Safety Association; Member of the American Industrial Hygiene Association; HAZWOPER certification; DOT/RCRA certification
· Three references
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
NOTE: The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this information in error, please contact the person, who sent the e-mail, and properly dispose of this information.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post