Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:01:40 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Stephen Stepenuck <sstepenuck**At_Symbol_Here**NE.RR.COM>
Subject: Re: Safety Course for Academic Credit

I offered a 3-cr one out of the chemistry department from 1976—2003, but I don’t believe it has been continued.  It was required for the BS in Chem, and had an optional [1-cr] lab in IH.

There is now a department of Safety Studies that offers quite a few, but th e catalog says those are open only to their majors.


Stephen J. Stepenuck, Ph.D.
Professor of chemistry emeritus
Keene State College   []
Keene NH 03435-2001

You wrote:

< FONT SIZE="2">Excuse the cross-posting:
Are there any institutions that offer a safety course (quarter- or semester -long) for academic credit?  This would be outside of course work for a degree in health and safety.  I know there are institutions that requi re lab safety training before students can begin work but I’m interest ed in an academic course, either required or elective.
Debbie M. Decker, Campus Chemical Safety Officer
Environmental Health and Safety
University of California, Davis
1 Shields Ave.
Davis, CA  95616
(530)754-7964/(530)681-1799 (cell)
(530)752-4527 (FAX)
Co-Conspirator to Make the World A
Better Place -- Visit &l t; gt;  and join the conspiracy

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.