THE BIG ONE - WTAM 1100, http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/secti
directions of I-71 in Delaware County reopened Thursday afternoon after
a deputy stopped a vehicle suspected of containing chemicals used to
make illegal drugs.
The interstate was closed between Gemni Parkway and
Routes 36/37 for more than three hours before opening shortly after 4
A Delaware County deputy sheriff stopped the vehicle
and noticed an odor.
Three Delaware County deputies and two people in the
vehicle were taken to the hospital as a precaution, according to
Hazmat personnel initially thought they were dealing
with anhydrus ammonia, a chemical used as a fertilizer by farmers. It's
also an ingredient used to manufacture meth.
SEATTLE -- Hazmat crews
responded to a report of a chemical odor at a building on the campus of
the University of Washington on Friday.
An alert e-mailed to students, staff and faculty said,
"Chemical Spill at Parrington Hall. Evacuation in progress. Avoid the
area until further notice."
building, Parrington Hall, houses the university's Graduate School of
Public Affairs, according to the UW's website.
The Fire Department later told KIRO 7 Eyewitness News
that it was nothing dangerous.
have struck parents arriving to pick up their children at West
Bainbridge Elementary School on Friday afternoon. They arrived to
see Bainbridge Public Safety Hazmat, Public Safety officers, EMS and
Decatur County Fire and Rescue blocking the front door.
Commander and Asst Fire Chief Doyle Welch tells us what
happened, with scenes from the school.
What was originally thought to be a classroom mercury
spill causing respiratory problems, turned out to be cleaning chemicals
mixed when the spill was being cleaned.
teacher, a custodian and a pre-K student were transported to the
hospital with respiratory problems and headaches, but several hours
later, appeared to be fine. Asst. Fire Chief Welch told us that
mixing some cleaning chemicals together can create toxic fumes. He
stated he worked with the Georgia State Poison Control Center and
Memorial Hospital to ascertain the potential for harm in the chemicals
The Wayne Farms further processing plant was evacuated
and four employees were hospitalized after an ammonia leak early
Thursday, a company official said.
A forklift accident at 12:30
a.m. caused the ammonia release at the Plugs Drive
The Decatur police and fire departments responded to
the call, as did the Wayne Farms Decatur Further West Hazmat
Ammonia is used in the facility=92s refrigeration
Four employees went to Parkway Medical Center for
observation and treatment for exposure to fumes. All four were released
at 5 a.m. Thursday.
MAYBROOK - Fire in a large filtration system at
Eastern Alloys in Maybrook required the use of dry chemical agents to
put it out.
The 35 foot high tower which contains cotton filters
caught fire while it was shut down for maintenance Thursday, said
Maybrook Fire Chief Charles Woznick.
Because of the presence of
zinc dust, firefighters could not use water to fight the flames so the
Stewart Airport Air National Guard=92s Fire Department was called in
with its dry chemical extinguishing agents.
was injured and all of the employees were evacuated.
Two persons suffered burns and two tankers went up in flames after a
fire broke out at a chemicals manufacturing company in Manjankaranai
near Tiruvallur, 35 km from here, early on Friday. One of the tankers
was completely gutted. The cause of the fire and the loss to property
are yet to be ascertained.
Ravinder (32) and cleaner Sriram Kumar (40), both from Bihar, were
asleep in the driver's cabin in one of the tankers when it caught fire.
They jumped down and were rescued and admitted to the Kilpauk Medical
College Hospital (KMCH).
to the police, around 5.45 am, one of the security guards noticed smoke
from the godown and alerted the authorities who informed the fire and
rescue services department.
A sprinkler system has saved
a Christchurch bedding factory from severe damage after a chemical
Firefighters were called to Comfort Technologies in
Treffers Rd, Wigram, about 10.40pm yesterday when the sprinkler system
went off following a minor explosion.
got there they found the sprinklers had put the fire out, said Fire
Service southern communications acting shift manager Daryl
The majority of damage was caused by flooding from the
sprinklers, but if they were not there, the damage would have been far
more extensive, he said.
MONTEVALLO, AL (WBRC) - A home in Montevallo caught fire
Friday afternoon in what authorities called a chemical
The Shelby County Sheriff's Department said the
incident happened at a home in the 1100 block of Highway 17 just south
of Maylene. The county's Drug Task Force, which was at the scene,
described the fire as a chemical explosion.
PORTLAND, Ore. -- A hazardous material scare at an
O.H.S.U. research lab sent two lab workers and two security officers to
the emergency room with breathing problems.
Portland Fire Department hazardous materials crews
spent almost six hours on the scene Thursday night.
Someone on the fourth floor of the Medical Research
Building spilled about three tablespoons of acrolein-a, which gives off
a strong odor, investigators said.
chemical can also irritate the eyes, nose and lungs.
Crews evacuated the entire research building, which
remained closed until Friday morning.