Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:47:22 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: "Redden, Patricia" <PREDDEN**At_Symbol_Here**SPC.EDU>
Subject: students doing research

I would like to know how other colleges deal with the liability issues of having an undergraduate student participating in research if the student is not enrolled in a research course or working under a grant.  We are a relatively small liberal arts college trying to get more students involved in research early in their collegiate careers.  The department does require a year-long research experience for which the students enroll in a course, but they would like to work over summers before taking that course or extend the research for more than the single academic year.  In the latter case, they can't register for additional course credit.  We are concerned about allowing students to work (obviously under supervision by the professor) when they are not "taking a course."

Would developing some type of contract indicating the rules under which the work would be done provide adequate liability coverage?  Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Pat Redden

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.