INDUSTRIAL BUILDING CATCHES FIRE, http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles
fire crews and a hazardous materials team responded to a fire at an
industrial building in Phoenix early Tuesday morning after a fire and an
explosion were reported, fire authorities said.
close to the scene called the Phoenix Fire Department at about 3 a.m.
after they heard what they thought was an explosion in the roof of a
building near 31st Street and Thomas Road.
firefighters arrived, the fire alarm and sprinklers had been
The building had large containers of various chemicals
inside, officials said. Fire officials determined that the chemicals
burned off in the fire and there is no chemical runoff and no
contamination to the environment.
A man at a Manorhaven, N.Y.,
jewelry store may have been exposed to excessive amounts of cyanide
March 1, the Nassau County Fire Marshal tells JCK.
limited evacuation, Nassau County Fire Marshal spokesperson Vincent
McManus says hazardous materials crews discovered open products
containing cyanide at the store.
were able to reseal the open containers,=94 he says. =93As a precaution
they treated the whole scene.=94
The store owner=97who had
called 911 himself after feeling faint=97was transported to St. Francis
Hospital around 3:40 a.m. Initial tests detected cyanide in the man=92s
system. His condition was not immediately known.
says no one else was exposed to the chemical and the hazmat team
determined the area was safe.
Cyanide is commonly used in the jewelry industry=97as
an ingredient in cleaning solutions, for example=97but McManus says it
is rare for someone to become ill from exposure.
ANSONIA, Conn. -- A hazmat
situation was reported in Ansonia on Tuesday afternoon.
The incident was reported before 5 p.m. at Auto
Repairs Unlimited on Main Street.
there called authorities after the business filled with a mist after an
employee opened a gas tank on a vehicle. Employees said they believe
someone poured acid into the gas tank as an act of vandalism. When an
employee opened the tank, a mist sprayed out and burned him in the
Officials from the
Department of Environmental Protection said a car was towed to the shop
from Derby. The owner was complaining the car wasn't running correctly.
When mechanic began working on the car, he suffered chemical burns. He
Portland hazmat crew is at Ron Russell Middle School in the David
Douglas School District in Southeast Portland this morning after some
kind of device exploded in a bathroom.
dispatchers received at call just before 8:30 a.m., reporting the
release of a chemical at the school, located at 3955 S.E. 112th Ave.
Paul Corah, spokesman for Portland Fire & Rescue said a "bottle
bomb" had gone off in a bathroom and that one person had trouble
Corah said it wasn't clear what the device was. He
said students are not being evacuated but will be kept in their
explosion at a chemical plant in Zhejiang Province that local residents
demanded be shut down years ago left two workers injured
The explosion occurred at around 8:50 pm at the Yue'an
Chemical Plant in Panshi township, Yueqing, blowing up a boiler and
causing colorless ammonia gas to leak, China News Service (CNS) reported
"When I heard the huge explosion, I thought it was an
earthquake," a local resident surnamed Zhou, who lived some two
kilometers away from the site, told the Global Times
Port Huron Fire Department
crews discovered a home meth lab after responding to a house fire about
11 p.m. Sunday at 1025 Court St.
The fire was reported by the
home=92s two occupants, one of whom had a chemical burn on his hand,
Port Huron Police Sgt. Roger Wesch said.
the course of extinguishing the fire, firefighters discovered chemicals
and containers indicative of a meth lab, Wesch said, and contacted the
The fire started in a second-story room, which
sustained the majority of the damage Port Huron Fire Dept. Battalion
Chief Greg Garry said. The cause of the fire is still under
investigation, but appears to have stemmed from a chemical incident,
A man was critically burned
this afternoon in a small chemical explosion inside an Edgewater car
The explosion occurred at about 4:15 p.m. inside the
building shared by Leo's Auto and Body and Snappy's Car wash on the 5900
block of North Ridge Avenue, fire officials said. The explosion occurred
in the car wash, fire department spokesman Quention Curtis
A fire resulted from the explosion, burning one man
inside, according to Curtis. The burn victim was taken to Swedish
Covenant Hospital in critical condition, Curtis said.
officials quickly knocked down the fire, which didn't appear to cause
any lasting damage to the structure.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- An
unknown leaking substance in a research freezer at the Wake Forest
University School of Medicine on South Hawthorn Road prompted a call to
the Winston-Salem Fire Department on Saturday.
Fire officials said members of the hazardous materials
unit donned chemical suits to enter the research room where the freezer
The team did tests on the
substance and determined that it contained nothing unsafe, officials
A potentially dangerous device found in a Boone
mailbox led authorities to seek help from a Wilkes County explosives
team and close Roby Greene Road for more than two hours Sunday
A resident in the 3000 block
of Roby Greene Road opened the roadside mailbox to find an unusual item,
prompting a call to 911 at about 4 p.m., according to an e-mail from
Sheriff Len Hagaman.
from the Watauga County Sheriff's Office who arrived at the scene
requested that the Meat Camp Volunteer Fire Department and the Wilkes
County Explosive Ordinance Division also respond.
The team determined that the object was a chemical
catalyst/reaction vessel similar to others that have surfaced in Wilkes
and Caldwell counties, Hagaman said.
are very dangerous and use several highly reactive chemicals. Anyone who
finds a similar object should not touch or go near it, as they can react
violently and cause burns, severe injuries or death, Hagaman
The road was closed to
traffic until about 6:30 p.m. while the officers removed the device,
which is being processed for evidence.
in Manchester city centre has been contaminated by a dangerous
Xylene, which is highly flammable and toxic if it goes
above a certain temperature, leaked into the sewer in the Strangeways
area when thieves tried to steal the cab of a tanker.
opened a valve on the tanker and thousands of gallons of the chemical
poured into the sewage system. The chemical has now solidified into a
jelly-like substance which is clogging up the sewer.
United Utilities, the Environment Agency, the fire service, and
Manchester council are working together to deal with the
They insist that there is no risk to public safety at
The chemical - a clear liquid - is refined from
crude oil. It is used as a solvent in printing, rubber, and leather
KANNAPOLIS =97 Two people were severely injured in a chemical
explosion and fire in Kannapolis around 7 p.m. today.
40-year-old female has been airlifted to Baptist Hospital with burns
over 36 percent of her upper body, authorities said. The explosion
occurred at 1935 Angela Lane, according to the Kannapolis Police
Department. The department did not have the woman=92s name and
Kannapolis firefighters were not available by phone.
victim, the woman's nephew, was taken to Carolinas Medical
Center-NorthEast in Concord. The patient's condition was not available.
The woman threw what she thought was diesel fuel on a bonfire, according
to her brother, who spoke to a Post photographer. The chemical turned
out to be gasoline, he said. The female victim caught fire, and her
nephew attempted to put out the flames when he was injured. Contact
reporter Emily Ford at 704-797-4264.
3:40 P.M. MASON - Static electricity caused a catalytic spark that
caused an explosion and fire Friday at an Americhem Sales Corp.
building, according to a preliminary investigation.
what we=92re saying right now,=94 said Sgt. Robert Ott of the Ingham
County Sheriff's Office and the county's Homeland Security and emergency
=93When those guys are loading and unloading those
trailers, they=92re supposed to be grounded to prevent any type of
static. The driver said he was grounded. (However), there=92s nothing
else out there that would have caused the spark.=94
Whetter, Americhem=92s president, maintains the tanker that entered the
company=92s weighing facility around 3 p.m. Friday containing 500
gallons of mineral spirits most likely exploded, destroying the
A loud explosion, apparently caused by chemicals in a
bottle, occurred at the Petaluma High School parking lot on Saturday
The Petaluma Police Department received a report of
the explosion and smoke coming from the parking lot at 9:35 p.m. The
reporting party stated that a 1990s dark green or blue Toyota 4Runner
with chrome rims then drove out of the parking lot, said Sgt. Ken
Petaluma police and fire units came to the scene and
found a chemical-type explosive in a two-liter bottle and an empty
The Bomb Squad from the Sonoma County Sheriff=92s
Office was informed of the incident, and came to gather