Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:33:34 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google
Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas<
TAMA COUNTY, Iowa - Cheese and Yogurt spilled when a
train jumped the tracks Sunday morning in Tama County.
County Sheriff's Office says it happened between Montour and Le Grand.
About 10 cars derailed, spilling the dairy products.
team also cleaned up some diesel that leaked from the train. No one was
SAN ANTONIO -- Witnesses
said a strong odor accompanied a spewing gas leak at the AGE refinery on
the city's South side late Saturday afternoon.
San Antonio fire, police, hazmat and CPS Energy crews
rushed to the scene. The refinery was shut down and vehicular access to
South Presa Street was blocked near the intersection of Southeast
CPS crews were able to shut
the line down and secure the area. After about an hour, South Presa was
re-opened and the area was given the all clear.
In May 2009, an even larger area surrounding the
refinery was evacuated, after an 18-wheeler explosion on the
It took 100 firefighters
several hours to extinguish the fire. A hazardous materials team moved
inside the building to turn off the valves fueling this
MIDDLETON, Mass. -- An explosion and fire rocked the Bostik
Inc. chemical plant in Middleton Sunday night. Fire officials said there
was significant damage to the building, but no danger to the surrounding
State Fire Marshal Stephen
Coan said the four-alarm fire broke out at the company=92s factory at
211 Boston Road late Sunday. Four people were reported
Coan said crews were able to
contain a small fire at the plant after an initial explosion. The plant
manufactures adhesives, but officials could not immediately say which
chemical had exploded.
residents were urged to stay in their homes with doors and windows
closed, but no evacuations were ordered.
The explosion was heard miles away. Residents of
Peabody and Danvers reported hearing a loud boom and said they could
feel the earth shake.
A STREET in Southend had to be cordoned off after a
mysterious mercury spill.
Police had to shut off Chelmsford Avenue at 12pm on
Saturday after the chemical, which is highly poisonous, was found on the
One fire crew from Rayleigh Weir attended the scene
and had to wear special protective masks and clothing to suck up the
mercury, which was scattered over a two foot section of the
A specialist waste disposal team was also at the scene
to take away the chemical before the road was reopened shortly after
div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica;
min-height: 14px; ">
ANGELES=97Authorities have discovered what they believe is a
methamphetamine lab and marijuana growing operation in downtown Los
Angeles, spurring the evacuation of some residents and the shutdown of
and fire officials say they found the operation on Santa Fe Avenue near
the intersection of Interstate 10 and Interstate 110 on Saturday
Police say the California
Highway Patrol has shut down several off-ramps and there have been no
reports of any arrests or injuries.
Angeles fire spokesman Erik Scott says a hazardous materials team has
been sent to the scene to assist the LAPD in a chemical investigation,
but had no further details.
DUDLEY, N.C. =97 The front
of a Dudley motel blew out early Friday when a methamphetamine lab
inside one of the rooms exploded, authorities said.
explosion occurred at about 4:15 a.m. at the Old Goldwater Motel, 3428
U.S. Highway 117 Alternate. The Mar-Mac Fire Department responded to the
motel, but authorities said the building sustained little or no fire
Valentine Morales, who lives at the motel with his
family, said the explosion awakened him as he slept on a sofa. He said
his first thoughts were for his wife and three children sleeping in the
employees in Medford received medical care last night after inhaling
suspicious materials from a package they were transporting, according to
Medford fire officials.
The 911 call came in about 8 p.m. from a passerby who
noticed a FedEx delivery driver on the ground at Meadow Glenn Mall on
Mystic Valley Parkway, Deputy Fire Chief Martin Cunniff
Cunniff said the driver had opened the door of his
truck to retrieve a package when he was overcome by fumes from another
package. He was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital in
hazmat team was left stumped yesterday about the source of noxious fumes
which left four employees of Kurrajong Waratah Recyclers in
Initially believed to be a
chemical spill, the incident brought police, a hazmat team, firefighters
and paramedics to the facility around 1pm, after the employees were
overcome by fumes.
The building was evacuated while the fire brigade and
paramedics were called.
Fire and rescue duty commander for the Wagga area
Duncan White said an unknown chemical had escaped from a steel can while
it was being crushed and baled.
"It became apparent a can
had erupted with some sort of chemical escaping which left five workers
overcome. Four were taken to hospital, with one who refused transport,"
ammonia solution pouring out of a wrecked tanker truck caused a section
of Fifth Avenue South and the Kenyon Road Bridge to be shut down for a
few hours Thursday afternoon.
No one was injured in the crash, and the ammonia
solution wasn't poisonous.
''It's more of an environmental problem,'' said Fire
Department Capt. Steve Hergenreter. ''We're trying to stop it from
getting in the river.''
Some of the chemical entered the storm sewers and
flowed to the Des Moines River before emergency personnel arrived,
COIMBATORE: A major fire broke out in a chemical
factory at Sengalipalayam near Periyanaickenpalayam in the city
outskirts on Saturday morning. The three-storeyed chemical factory and
about 1.5 tonnes of adhesive chemical manufactured at the factory were
destroyed in the blaze.
4am on Saturday, four workers at the factory noticed an electric short
circuit near the containers where the chemical adhesives were stored.
The short circuit triggered a fire in the factory and the adhesives blew
staff of the Fire and Rescue Services fought the blaze for over two
hours. But the chemicals and most part of the building were destroyed.
"If the blaze had spread to neighbouring buildings, it would have been a
major tragedy," a police official said.
A chemical leak in a Dorset
hospital resulted in the evacuation of the facility with patients being
transferred to other places. Following the leak, authorities at the
hospital called for fire and rescue crews to the Victoria Hospital in
The incident took place on Friday at 1800 GMT; rescue
teams arriving at the facility wore gas-tight suits to investigate the
reason behind the chemical leak. There were 18 patients receiving
treatment at the facility at the time of the incident and were
transferred to the St Leonards hospital.
to the investigation carried out by facilities, it was found that the
leak was a result of an ammonia coolant leaking from a fridge that was
removed after a period of five hours after the leak.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post