Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 07:47:16 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Ralph Stuart <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Chemical Safety headlines from Google
Links to details available at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas<
Idaho =97 The Idaho State Police say a tanker truck crashed on
Interstate 84 in southwestern Idaho, critically injuring the driver,
spilling thousands of gallons of gasoline and closing a 13-mile stretch
of the westbound lanes for about nine hours.
The patrol says the semi was eastbound and negotiating
a curve east of Mountain Home at about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when the
tanker went off the left shoulder of the road, down a slope into the
median and overturned.
driver, 39-year-old Danny Guntrum of Nampa, was taken by air ambulance
to St. Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise. The nursing
supervisor said he was critical condition Thursday
Greensboro, NC -- Greensboro Police responded to a crash
involving a tractor trailer and a vehicle that was pulling a trailer
just at 6:32 am Thursday.
Some lanes on I-40 West near
MLK Drive and Patton Avenue were closed for several hours. A tractor
trailer spilled diesel fuel and hazmat teams were called to clean it
Police say the truck was carrying about 100 gallons at
the time of the crash. Parts of the concrete barriers were
also knocked out.
Police officers were called to an an antique store at
1710 Dublin this morning when someone found two glass tubes inside an
Originally the person who found them thought they
could be nitroglycerin, an explosive.
investigation showed the tubes contained chloropicrin, a World War I
chemical agent. The chemical causes vomiting. They tubes were apparently
used as a burglary deterrent.
Employees at Willow Stone Antiques were given
instructions from the HazMat team on how to dispose of the
DOMBIVLI: Two persons were killed and three injured in
a fire at the Gharda Chemicals Ltd, MIDC, in Dombivli, on Thursday.
workers were in the pesticide manufacturing unit's plant 4 when there
was a huge explosion at 1.45 pm. Helpers G R Rathod and R V Pardeshi
succumbed on the spot due to 100% burn injuries, while Dattatre Parul,
Nilesh Madvi and Mahesh Tarade were taken to Hambarde hospital with burn
injuries. Parul is in a serious condition.
brigade control room, which got a call around 1.45 pm, sent nine engines
which took around 45 minutes to reach due to heavy traffic.
two hours for the fire brigade, along with help from experts from the
company, to douse the flames at Gharda, one of the biggest chemical
units in Thane district.
officials were called to manufacturing plant Thursday afternoon with
report of leaking chemicals, officials said.
from Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert and Phoenix were called to mitigate
the potential hazards at the International Rectifier manufacturing
facility near Extension and Baseline roads around 2
Mesa Fire Department spokesman Forrest Smith said that
a line carrying a liquid regularly used in semiconductor industry had
sprung a leak inside the building.
After the release of the
chemical, the system shut itself down and sounded a warning to
employees, Smith said.
The building's 40 employees were safely
A chemical spill at the CLM waste transfer station on
Werz Industrial Boulevard Wednesday morning sent three employees to the
hospital for evaluation.
Newnan Fire Department responded to the call, and the
spill was ultimately cleaned up by a professional hazardous materials
company, according to Newnan Fire Department Battalion Chief Denise
The incident occurred just after 10 a.m. at 129 Werz
Industrial Boulevard -- a CLM Sanitation-operated transfer station where
waste is sorted and shipped to various locations. The call was
dispatched as a possible fire that began as the result of chemicals that
had been mixed together. Newnan Engine 1 was the first to arrive at the
scene. Firefighters reported finding a white vapor coming from the
building. Sgt. Bart Henson ordered three employees to evacuate the
immediate vicinity, according to Freeman.
the employees reported that he was moving a pile of debris when it began
smoking. Assuming it was a fire, he poured water on it, but the debris
started "popping and smoking more," according to
Those three employees were decontaminated at the scene
and then transported to Piedmont Newnan Hospital where they were treated
and released after a brief evaluation, according to
ISLAND, Ill.=97 22 students and 10 staff members were transported to
hospitals after a chemical reaction released fumes throughout Paul
Revere Intermediate School in Blue Island just before noon
District 130 Communications Coordinator Stephanie
Fordice said the release appears to have originated in a first-floor
custodian room after bleach was poured into a drain.
school was evacuated after numerous complaints of shortness of breath
and feeling lightheaded.
The Blue Island Fire Department categorizes those
injured in "good condition."
5500 gallons of concentrated liquid fertilizer spilled onto an I-80
entrance ramp after a semi truck turned over near Doniphan Thursday
Driver Matt Dobish was headed to Kearney from
Hastings. When he turned off Highway 281 onto the I-80 on-ramp he said
the liquid inside the tanker shifted and turned over the entire
Dobish made it out with just bumps and bruises as
thousands of gallons of Thio-Sul -a fertilizing chemical ran onto the
grass and down a drainage pipe.
"The fertilizer was flowing
out, I shut the engine off right away so there wasn't a fire but there
was fertilizer flowing out," said Dobish.
Island fire department's hazmat team kept onlookers about a hundred
yards from the spill to avoid inhaling any fumes.
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- A man cleaning a tanker truck passed
out due to low levels of oxygen, fire crews said.
The Kern County Fire Department said that about 1:20
p.m. on Wednesday, a call was received about an unconscious man inside a
tank in the 7100 block of Golden State Highway.
Crews said a man was found unconscious inside a tanker
trailer carrying residual crude oil.
had been cleaning the tank with a citrus chemical when a coworker
noticed him unconscious, according to the KCFD.
Crews immediately began to monitor the air within the
tank for potential hazards prior to making entry.
An air system was placed inside the tank after
determining high levels of flammable vapors and low levels of
A PENSIONER sparked a full-scale chemical alert at an
old folk=92s home in South Tyneside.
A 15-strong team of
firefighters, plus an anti-contamination unit, tackled the incident at
Calf Close House in Calf Close Lane, Jarrow.
residents were evacuated from the upper floor of the sheltered complex
just after 5.45pm yesterday.
The alarm was raised by a 78-year-old woman in a first
floor flat who felt a burning sensation in her throat.
manager Trevor Smith, of Hebburn fire station, said: =93This woman
suffered a stinging throat and sore eyes and alerted us as a chemical
smell filled her flat.
=93It is believed ammonia was released after pipework
was ruptured at the back of a fridge, which had been pushed against a
=93A total of nine residents were evacuated from the
upper floor and moved to a communal room downstairs.
Factory explosion investigated
INVESTIGATION is under way into a major blaze at a factory which led to
residents being told to stay indoors.
explosion was reported by residents living near the American-owned Timet
UK factory in Ystrad Road, Waunarlwydd, Swansea, shortly before 10am on
The factory itself was evacuated with no workers
Timet UK, which employs around 250, makes specialist
titanium equipment for the aerospace industry.
POTOMAC, Md. (WUSA) -- Montgomery County Fire Chief
Scott Graham says hazmat and explosives crews are on scene at a home in
the 9200 block of Inglewood Drive in Potomac on Wednesday
According to the chief, they are investigating an odor
coming from a house there. Indications are that the smell comes from
some sort of explosive material.
No explosives have been
A mystery ailment sickened 26 people, sending nine to
the hospital at a law firm and call center here. What made everyone ill
is still under investigation, authorities told Fox 13.
just taking phone calls, doing our work and a couple of employees just
started becoming nauseous," said Jay Rowley, who reported feeling light
headed after smelling "propane like fumes."
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- Firefighters knocked out a fire
at a chemical plant in the Pasadena area Wednesday
broke out at the Ablemarle plant on South Street around 2am. Police tell
us the chemical di-mythl-aluminum chloride was released into the air.
However, the smoke cloud does not pose any danger. The chemical is used
in the making of plastics.
CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - Three people were arrested early Wednesday morning
after authorities were called to a Moss Bluff residence where they
discovered a meth lab.
Early Wednesday morning, the Calcasieu Parish
Sheriff's Office was called to a residence on Esther Drive in Moss Bluff
in regard to a noise that sounded like an explosion.
Detectives arrived and they say they discovered 26-year-old
Rachel A. Graham, 44-year-old John E. Dunn and 18-year-old Steven S.
Willis were in the process of manufacturing methamphetamine when an
unexpected chemical reaction occurred. They reportedly threw the
chemicals out of the residence before they exploded, causing a
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post