I would say that neither article is entirely true. In the first one they hail the quick thinkingof the student for “throwing” bicarb on the nitric but then they go on to say it took “23 firefighters 97 minutes to neutralize the acid.” Hmm, who really neutralized the spill here?
In the second article they claimthat it was the exothermic reaction between bicarb and nitric that “melted the copper piping on compressed air containers in the lab” NowI know that this reaction does generate a lot of heat but not anywhere near enough to reach the melting point of copper which is in excess of 1000 deg C. Surely it was the nitric that dissolved the copper…
Wayne Wood | Associate Director, University Safety (EHS) – Directeur Adjoint, Direction de la pr=E9vention (SSE), Services universitaires | McGill University | 3610 McTavish Street, 4th floor | Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3A 1Y2 | Tel: (514) 398-2391 | Fax: (514) 398-8047
OK, Class. Which of these two completely different stories is true? Monona
TUCSON FIRE: UA STUDENT TAKES QUICK ACTION IN ACID SPILL
A quick-thinking UA student threw sodium bicarbonate on a chemical spill ina science lab Monday, which helped prevent any injuries.
Tucson Fire Department firefighters responded to the spill involving nitricacid shortly after noon at the Shantz Building and had the incident under control at 1:44 p.m., Tucson Fire Capt. Jeff Langejans said.
Four students were in the lab in the 1100 block of East Fourth Street when the spill occurred, Langejans said. One student threw the sodium bicarbonate on the nitric acid, and then pulled the fire alarm.
ARIZONA DAILY WILDCAT : NITRIC ACID SPILL FORCES EVACUATION OF SHANTZ
A spilled container of nitric acid forced the evacuation of the Shantz building on Monday. Officers on scene said no one was hurt in the accident.
The spill occurred when a glass container filled with nitric acid dropped and broke. According to Tucson Fire Prevention Capt. Jeff Langejans, someonetried to neutralize the spill with sodium bicarbonate, causing an exothermic reaction that melted the copper piping on compressed air containers in the lab. SNIP
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post