From: 8524828hau**At_Symbol_Here**COMCAST.NET
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Best practices for intra-departmental chemical sharing
Date: January 31, 2012 12:52:39 PM EST
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <B1044E01-A0E8-45E4-B391-957098836A1E**At_Symbol_Here**>

 I am responding under the presumption that the transfer is from building to building. Under this presumption, the initial and final paragraphs are applicable to any university/college campus, thus the distribution to all on the List.

The best practice is  to seek guidance and/or assistance from the plant services organization responsible for packaging and transportation of hazardous materials.  DO NOT casually place chemicals in boxes and use a institutional or private vehicle to make transfers of hazardous chemicals from building to building.  The Department of Transportation regulations are extremely complex and stringent.  Either perform the transport in accordance with instructions from your haz mat transportation specialists, or (even if there is a fee) arrange for the professionals to perform the transfer.  Financial penalties (and the unwanted publicity) for noncompliance can be in the thousands of dollars.

At Texas Tech, I suggest starting by contacting the Department of Risk Management described at .

The EHS department at TTU has a haz mat shipping resource at

The ACS is NOT a source of such information.  The governing agency is the U. S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

David Haugen (retired)

From: "ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety Secretary" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:16:22 AM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Best practices for intra-departmental chemical sharing

This question came in via that DCHAS web site. I thought that the list would be the best resource to respond to Dr. Casadonte. I'll summarize any responses to the list.

- Ralph

From: Dominick Casadonte <Dominick.Casadonte**At_Symbol_Here**>


    We are looking for information concerning best practices for transferring chemicals between labs in the case of an emeritus faculty member who is willing to share his chemical stock with others in the department. There is a section in Prudent Practices (pg. 92) which may be relevant, but we are wondering if ACS has anything covering this topic.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.