We do not allow domestic microwaves for lab work, they must be rated for commercial work. This is because we had 2 fires in the past resulting from domestic microwaves being (over)used for processing samples. Domestic microwaves were just not built for a heavy duty cycle and if you run them too long the microwave can overheat the circuitry and cause shorts..
The same goes for blenders, dishwashers, ladders, and most any tool or appliance you can think of – avoid using domestic grade equipment; they weren’t made to handle the demands of the workplace…
Wayne Wood | Associate Director, University Safety (EHS) – Directeur Adjoint, Direction de la pr=E9vention (SSE), Services universitaires | McGill University | 3610 McTavish Street, 4th floor | Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3A 1Y2 | Tel: (514) 398-2391 | Fax: (514) 398-8047
Our researchers heat the 2% solution of Osmium tetroxide in water in a household microwave oven: 2 minutes at 20% or defrost power level. They told me that “everyone” does this.
Please share with me any thought you have on Osmium tetroxide work? Any special clean up or decon procedures for the chemical hood or in this case the microwave oven? Anyone had used corn oil for decontamination?
I am writing up a standard operating procedure for this chemical also and would appreciate any suggestion the group may have. Thank you so much for your help.
Yung Morgan, MsPH
Industrial Hygiene Services
Environmental Health and Safety
117 Draper hall
UMASS,Amherst MA 01003
phone (413) 545-2682
Fax (413) 545-2600
email : pmorgan**At_Symbol_Here**ehs.umass.edu
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post