From: Jerry P. Gordon Jr
The King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST
KAUST is a young university (~3 years old) located in the town of Thuwal on the coast of the Red Sea. The university is a graduate-only research institution and is growing very fast. The university currently has about 60 laboratories and has plans to double the capacity over the next couple of years. Additionally, a research park is currently under construction on campus - which will end up being much larger than the footprint of the academic buildings. You can find more information on the research park here:
KAUST has a very beautiful campus with all the amenities of a small city and is about a 1 hour drive to Jeddah...a city of 3.5 million people. Activities on campus include sports, concerts, international events and marine activities (diving, snorkeling, fishing, windsurfing, kayaking, etc), as well as incredible opportunities for traveling around the world. From the Jeddah airport, flights to NYC is about 12 hours, flights to Europe and Asia are 6-9 hours, middle eastern countries are about 2-3 hours....many places to visit!
For those with a background in lab design, this is truly an incredible opportunity. If you are interested in this position, then I would encourage you to submit your application via the webpage below. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone else you know who may be interested.
If any of you have questions about what it is like living here, then feel free to email me directly.
To apply for the job, see more details and apply online, point to:
and search for job opening # 1897BR - Lab Design Lead.
Lab Design Lead
Lab Design Lead will be responsible for the lab design process and the associated lab equipment. The role responsibility will start at the onset of the recruitment of the experimental faculty and will end with the completion of the lab design and the submittal of an approved scope of work for lab design and equipment procurement to the construction agency. The role will facilitate the meetings with the newly hired PI, design contractor and construction agency to deliver the lab. The role will be responsible for compliance with KAUST's Academic Space and Equipment Planning Committee.
* Work on the lab conceptual design with the newly hired Pis within the guidelines of the Academic Space and Equipment Planning Committee.
* Coordinate meetings between the PIs and the design contractor for Lab development.
* Work closely with LDD safety specialists to ensure all safety standards and codes are met
* Develop the scope of work for the lab design and the associated equipment list and obtain the necessary approvals.
* Follow up closely on the lab design and equipment procurement, participate in design sessions, coordinate closely with the PI and respond to questions from the design contractor and construction agency.
* Ensure compliance with design guidelines and all relevant building codes and practices.
* Maintain a state-of-the-art understanding of current and emerging trends in lab design relevant to university needs.
* Keep logs and records of all design sessions with the PIs and the design contractor.
* Present ideas through lab design review and design sign-off meetings.
* Ensure new labs compliance with the guidelines of the space allocation committee in terms of budgetary constraints and ensure compliances with the original estimate during procurement.
* Review and comments on all design reviews (30%, 60%, 90% & 100%) and coordinate the participation of the KAUST team (Cx, CSD and HSE)..
* Coordinate with several relevant academic partners' labs as well as the relevant faculty's previous lab settings to gain an accurate overall concept of the pertinent lab design and the faculty's design parameters.
Interface with Lab Safety Officers to ensure lab designs meet safety codes and practices, and hazard operability reviews are conducted appropriately.
Research & Development Management
Lab Design and Development
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post