From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Chemical Safety headlines from Google (6 articles)
Date: August 22, 2012 6:13:15 AM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <C97D1AD6-95A6-4E3C-8EA8-ADC7A8C36682**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org>

Chemical Safety Headlines From Google
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:12:43 AM

A service of the ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
Connecting Chemistry and Safety at http://www.dchas.org
All article summaries and tags are archived at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas

Table of Contents (6 articles)

EXPLOSIVE CHEMICALS DETONATED AT THE STONY BROOK SCHOOL
Tags: us_NY, education, discovery, response, unknown_chemical

BOSSIER CITY POLICE ARREST MAN AFTER ROLLING METH LAB CATCHES FIRE
Tags: us_LA, public, fire, response, meth_lab

SPRINGFIELD FAS RESPONDS TO HAZMAT EMERGENCY IN ELIZABETH
Tags: us_NJ, public, release, injury, pesticides

SMALL CHEM. SPILL AT UW MEDICAL CENTER IN SEATTLE
Tags: us_WA, public, release, injury, unknown_chemical

CHEMICAL SPILL CLOSES STREET IN TUSTIN
Tags: us_CA, industrial, release, injury, waste

EARLY MORNING EXPLOSION ROCKS TOWN HALL IN WASHINGTON- THE REGISTER CITIZEN
Tags: us_CT, public, explosion, response, propane


---------------------------------------------

EXPLOSIVE CHEMICALS DETONATED AT THE STONY BROOK SCHOOL
http://threevillage.patch.com/articles/explosive-chemicals-detonated-at-the-stony-brook-school
Tags: us_NY, education, discovery, response, unknown_chemical

A small amount of a "highly explosive" chemical was found at The Stony Brook School and was detonated by emergency responders Tuesday afternoon, according to a police report.

The Stony Brook Fire Department, Brookhaven Town Fire Marshals and Suffolk County Police Department's Emergency Services Section responded, taking the chemical to a field at the school and detonating it.

The incident, reported at 4:26 p.m., is considered non-criminal and no one was injured. The name of the chemical involved was not available.

---------------------------------------------

BOSSIER CITY POLICE ARREST MAN AFTER ROLLING METH LAB CATCHES FIRE
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120820/NEWS03/120820045/Bossier-City-police-arrest-man-after-rolling-meth-lab-catches-fire
Tags: us_LA, public, fire, response, meth_lab

Bossier City police arrested a man last week in connection with a rolling meth lab after the fire department was called to a vehicle fire last Thursday in the parking lot of the Orchard Apartments in the 4800 block of Shed Road.

Officers arrested Christopher Adam Anderson, 26, of Doyline on charges of creation of a clandestine lab.

Bossier City Fire Department personnel were called to the parking lot Thursday afternoon in reference to a vehicle fire. Once the fire was out emergency personnel observed what they believe were components of a meth lab inside the vehicle. Narcotics agents then responded to the scene to investigate.

As a result of witnesses statements and evidence found at and near the scene, agents subsequently arrested Anderson on the listed charge. It's believed the fire started as a result of an adverse chemical reaction caused by Anderson's attempt to make methamphetamine and leaving the mixture in the vehicle. There were no reported injuries from the fire.

---------------------------------------------

SPRINGFIELD FAS RESPONDS TO HAZMAT EMERGENCY IN ELIZABETH
http://springfield.patch.com/articles/springfield-first-aid-squad-responds-to-weekend-hazmat-emergency-in-elizabeth
Tags: us_NJ, public, release, injury, pesticides

On Saturday, Aug. 18, the Springfield First Aid Squad responded to a hazardous materials incident in Elizabeth where nine people, including emergency responders, were sent to the hospital.

EMTs and firefighters responded to a report of someone having seizures. The emergency responders encountered a strange odor in the patient's apartment building and became ill along with several residents of the apartment building. According to media reports, an EMT a fire captain and a pair of children were brought to the hospital following reports of illness, including numbness and vomiting at the scene.

The Springfield First Aid Squad responded to the incident. At the scene, the squad triaged four patients, assisted them to a decontamination area, and then transported them to Trinitas Hospital in Elizabeth.

According to an ABC news report, the apartment building was being fumigated for bed bugs. Emergency responders reportedly dispersed the pesticides fans but did not evacuate the building.

---------------------------------------------

SMALL CHEM. SPILL AT UW MEDICAL CENTER IN SEATTLE
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/20/4742882/small-chem-spill-at-uw-medical.html
Tags: us_WA, public, release, injury, unknown_chemical

SEATTLE -- Seattle fire officials say a small chemical spill prompted a brief evacuation of part of the University of Washington Medical Center.

Officials say a pathology department employee spilled about two gallons of a chemical similar to formaldehyde Monday evening.

People were told to avoid the immediate area while a hazardous materials team cleaned up the spill.

A Seattle Fire Department spokesman says a person who had been handling the chemical was decontaminated.

---------------------------------------------

CHEMICAL SPILL CLOSES STREET IN TUSTIN
http://www.ocregister.com/news/chemical-369095-avenue-spill.html
Tags: us_CA, industrial, release, injury, waste

TUSTIN - A hazardous-materials team responded to a chemical spill that forced authorities to evacuate a Tustin business and close a nearby street Monday afternoon.
Crews about 4:45 p.m. responded to reports of a chemical spill in a two-story building in the 1300 block of Valencia Avenue, Orange County Fire Authority Battalion Chief Kris Concepcion said.
Chemists were working in the area when "some sort of reaction" occurred, Concepcion said. A "small amount" of chemical is believed to have been involved.
About 100 workers were evacuated from the building, which includes office space and a research and development operation, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Marc Stone said.
The chemists work for Microvention, a medical device manufacturer, Stone said. They were reportedly disposing of waste into what they believed to be an empty bucket that actually contained another product, causing the chemical reaction.
Four people were decontaminated by fire crews.
"They appear to be fine and normal, but we don't know how much of the product splashed up on them, so we want to clean them," Stone said.
Ten other people were evaluated after complaining of dizziness, red eyes and other minor symptoms, but no one was taken to a hospital, Stone said.

---------------------------------------------

EARLY MORNING EXPLOSION ROCKS TOWN HALL IN WASHINGTON- THE REGISTER CITIZEN
http://www.registercitizen.com/articles/2012/08/19/news/doc50310331a9849385393108.txt
Tags: us_CT, public, explosion, response, propane

WASHINGTON—The cleanup after a wedding reception at Bryan Memorial Town Hall late Saturday night ended with a bang—literally—after a caterer's vehicle reportedly dislodged a valve on an underground propane tank when it was pulled up close to the municipal building.

According to town officials and responders still gathered at the scene Sunday afternoon—and still trying to fix the problem with the propane tank—the mishap with the valve caused a boiler room in the basement of town hall to fill with gas.

Local fire crews responded around 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning, and shortly after they arrived the gas that had filled the basement room ignited and caused an explosion.

No injuries have been reported, and the explosion did not cause a fire.

---------------------------------------------

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post



The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to secretary@dchas.org.
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.