From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Chemical Safety headlines from Google (6 articles)
Date: September 21, 2012 8:06:56 AM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <746F4D4B-DACF-4FD5-9400-DAA09F5A8E4E**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org>

Chemical Safety Headlines From Google
Friday, September 21, 2012 8:02:24 AM

A service of the ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
Connecting Chemistry and Safety at http://www.dchas.org
All article summaries and tags are archived at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas

Table of Contents (6 articles)

UK CHEMISTRY GRADUATE STUDENT POISONED BY THALLIUM, ARSENIC
Tags: United_Kingdom, laboratory, discovery, injury, thallium, arsenic

COPS: WOMAN HELD FOR COURT AFTER PENNSBURG HAZMAT INCIDENT
Tags: us_PA, public, follow-up, response, ammonia, bleach, suicide

EMERGENCY OFFICIALS RESPOND TO CHEMICAL SPILL AT ETHEL WALKER SCHOOL
Tags: us_CT, laboratory, release, response, nitric_acid, sodium_hydroxide

TWO OVERCOME BY FUMES IN HILLSBORO BEACH: BSO
Tags: us_FL, public, release, injury, unknown_chemical

CHLORINE SPILL EVACUATES JEWISH CENTER IN CLIFTON
Tags: us_NJ, public, release, injury, chlorine, water_treatment

TWO TREATED AFTER CHEMICAL SPILL AT QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY
Tags: us_CT, education, release, injury, bromine, water_treatment


---------------------------------------------

UK CHEMISTRY GRADUATE STUDENT POISONED BY THALLIUM, ARSENIC
http://cenblog.org/the-safety-zone/2012/09/uk-chemistry-graduate-student-poisoned-by-thallium-arsenic/
Tags: United_Kingdom, laboratory, discovery, injury, thallium, arsenic

Several UK news outlets this week reported that a Southampton University chemistry graduate student, reportedly a 25-year-old man, is hospitalized for poisoning by thallium and arsenic. "The 25-year old had been feeling ill for around three weeks and is now being treated at a specialist toxicology unit in Cardiff," according to Chemistry World. The chemistry building had been closed since the evening of Sept. 12, but on Tuesday, Sept. 18, the university reopened all but "one level which is still part of the ongoing Police investigation," a university spokesman told C&EN European Correspondent Sarah Everts in an e-mail.

---------------------------------------------

COPS: WOMAN HELD FOR COURT AFTER PENNSBURG HAZMAT INCIDENT
http://www.pottsmerc.com/article/20120920/NEWS01/120919482/cops-woman-held-for-court-after-pennsburg-hazmat-incident
Tags: us_PA, public, follow-up, response, ammonia, bleach, suicide

PENNSBURG A Pennsburg woman who allegedly attempted to kill herself by mixing a large amount of chemicals together inside her home while her children were inside the residence, was held for court at her preliminary hearing Thursday.


Victoria Ann Waldman, 32, of 310 Pottstown Ave., was charged with endangering her children and causing a catastrophe after she allegedly created a hazmat incident Sept. 6 by mixing ammonia and bleach inside her home around 10:40 p.m. According to the court documents filed by Upper Perk police, Waldman was the only adult home with her three children under the age of 10 at the time, and she was attempting suicide. Waldman's husband received "several alarming text messages" from Waldman while he was at work, police indicated in court documents. When he returned home, he went inside and "encountered an overwhelmingly strong odor of chemicals inside of the residence." He also found "piles of vomit in the bathroom and bottles of ammonia, bleach" and other chemicals there.

---------------------------------------------

EMERGENCY OFFICIALS RESPOND TO CHEMICAL SPILL AT ETHEL WALKER SCHOOL
http://thegranbys.patch.com/articles/fire-department-responding-to-possible-chemical-spill-at-ethel-walker-school
Tags: us_CT, laboratory, release, response, nitric_acid, sodium_hydroxide

Two chemicals were spilled in a science lab in the main classroom building at The Ethel Walker School Thursday morning, officials said.

Jeff Chandler, supervisor of the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection's emergency response team said Nitric Acid and Caustic Soda were spilled in two separate areas of the third-floor lab classroom. Nitric acid can burn the skin but the amount was very small, Chandler said.

He added that the two chemicals did not mix and police are investigating the cause of the spills.

Officials said there were no injuries.

Emergency crews first responded to the school at approximately 9:19 a.m. for a call of a chemical spill in a science lab classroom, fire marshal Kevin Kowalski said.

"The school followed all the

---------------------------------------------

TWO OVERCOME BY FUMES IN HILLSBORO BEACH: BSO
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Two-Overcome-By-Fumes-in-Hillsboro-Beach-BSO-170324596.html
Tags: us_FL, public, release, injury, unknown_chemical

Authorities are investigating a hazmat scene after two people were overcome by fumes at a garage in Hillsboro Beach Wednesday morning.

The incident happened in the 1100 block of Hillsboro Mile, according to Broward Sheriff's Office spokesman Mike Jachles.

Jachles said the two unidentified victims were conscious and were being taken to Broward Health North Medical Center in Deerfield Beach by Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue.

The fumes may have been cause by a running vehicle, Jachles said. Crews were ventilating the area and performing air monitoring.

---------------------------------------------

CHLORINE SPILL EVACUATES JEWISH CENTER IN CLIFTON
http://www.northjersey.com/news/170394876_Chlorine_spill_evacuates_Jewish_Center_in_Clifton.html
Tags: us_NJ, public, release, injury, chlorine, water_treatment

CLIFTON - The Clifton Fire Department's Hazmat unit was dispatched to the Jewish Family Service Children's Center on Scoles Avenue early Wednesday morning after 75 gallons of chlorine began leaking in a storage room near the Olympic-sized pool.

Clifton Fire Department and Hazmat responded to 199 Scoles Ave., on Wednesday morning on a report of a chlorine spill.
Clifton Fire Chief Vincent Colavitti said a worker moving materials accidentally hit and broke off the chlorine valve, causing 75 gallons of sodium hypochlorite, a liquid, to spill on to the floor.

Colavitti said the worker was by himself and initially attempted to stop the leak with his hand. As the fire department was alerted, the worker received alternate transport to St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center after complaining about burns on his hands, ankles and face.

The worker was gone as the Hazmat team entered the facility and secured the sodium hypochlorite, Colavitti said, explaining its concentration was relatively low at 12 percent, adding a higher concentration may cause serious bodily burns and injuries.

---------------------------------------------

TWO TREATED AFTER CHEMICAL SPILL AT QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY
http://www.courant.com/community/north-haven/hc-quinnipiac-spill-0920-20120919,0,3615851.story
Tags: us_CT, education, release, injury, bromine, water_treatment

Two people were taken to a hospital Wednesday after gas was released into the air during a chemical spill at Quinnipiac University's North Haven Campus, a university spokesman said.

The two people, both employees of Blue Cross and Blue Shield, were taken to MidState Medical Center in Meriden for treatment of eye and throat irritations, officials said. They reportedly were working in building four on a floor above the spill.

The spill was contained to the maintenance area of the building.

The spill was reported after 1 p.m. at the North Haven campus, 370 Bassett Road, which houses the school of Health Sciences, Nursing and Education. The leak was connected to a delivery, earlier in the day, of bromine, a chemical used for a water treatment system, fire officials said.

"The cause of the [chemical] cloud was apparently a chemical reaction in a shipment of bromine an acidic chemical," the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection said in a written statement.

---------------------------------------------


Ralph Stuart
secretary**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org
Secretary
Division of Chemical Health and Safety
American Chemical Society

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post



The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to secretary@dchas.org.
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.