From: "Robin M. Izzo" <rmizzo**At_Symbol_Here**PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Eating and Drinking in Laboratories
Date: December 3, 2012 2:37:41 PM EST
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <1354501645.51438.YahooMailClassic**At_Symbol_Here**>

I have never seen any statistics about incidents that occurred due to eating or drinking in a lab..  The intentional poisoning cases are not the result of accidental ingestion.  I’ve read numerous accounts of accidental ingestion of chemicals outside of labs, especially in maintenance areas, where someone decides to store a chemical in a beverage container..


In 20 years at Princeton, there have been three cases, all occurring more than 15 years ago.   Of these, two were very similar situations – both happened in biology research labs where the researcher had a coffee cup on the lab bench, was focusing on the experiment and accidentally picked up and drank from a beaker rather than the coffee cup. In both cases, they drank a bit of buffer solution.  There were no illnesses or injuries.  These labs were designed such that the workup areas were adjacent to the lab bench – a design we have since rejected.


The third incident involved an electrical engineering graduate student who had been soldering at a workstation near his desk and didn’t realize that he had soldering flux on the sleeve of his lab coat.  He was still wearing the lab coat as he ate his sandwich at his desk and didn’t realize that his sleeve brushed against the sandwich.  He ended up with a bite of flux, which irritated his mouth.


I’ve never seen a collection of such anecdotes.







Robin M. Izzo, M.S.

Associate Director, EHS

Princeton University

609-258-6259 (office)


Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

~ Mark Twain 


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of Mr John David Turner
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2012 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Eating and Drinking in Laboratories


There were two instances of coffee tainted/spiked with acrylamide at Quidel in Torrey Pines by Joseph Bohn, back in 1982 and 1983.  He soaked coffee filters in acrylamide used for casting gells, allowed them to dry, and then put them back for people to use.  At the time I worked at CalbioChem (also in Torrey Pines) and knew some of the individuals who were poisoned.

--- On Sun, 12/2/12, Samuella B Sigmann <sigmannsb**At_Symbol_Here**APPSTATE.EDU> wrote:

From: Samuella B Sigmann <sigmannsb**At_Symbol_Here**APPSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Eating and Drinking in Laboratories
Date: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 10:34 AM

The only one that I can remember in recent history is the case of the coffee tainted with sodium azide that happened at Harvard a few years back.  I am not sure if the true method of contamination was ever disclosed.

On 12/1/2012 3:15 PM, Miriam Weil wrote:
> Does anyone know where I could find statistical (not anecdotal) data on illness or injuries related to eating and drinking in laboratories?
> -- Miriam W. Weil, MPH, ScD


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.