From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Chemical Safety headlines from Google (5 articles)
Date: December 10, 2012 7:15:12 AM EST
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <FEB115AD-1605-42F1-8B1E-7CA80E22E592**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org>

Chemical Safety Headlines From Google
Monday, December 10, 2012 7:13:44 AM

A service of the ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
Connecting Chemistry and Safety at http://www.dchas.org
All article summaries and tags are archived at http://pinboard.in/u:dchas

Table of Contents (5 articles)

VETERINARY CLINIC CHEMICAL EXPOSURES
Tags: us_CO, public, release, death, pesticides

HAZMAT TEAM AT CAR WRECK WITH BUILDING
Tags: us_TX, transportation, release, response, pool_chemicals

SPENCER DAILY REPORTER: LOCAL NEWS: ALL SAFE FOLLOWING CHEMICAL FIRE AT SHS (12/08/12)
Tags: us_IA, laboratory, fire, response, unknown_chemical

STUDENTS, TEACHER CHECKED BY MEDIC AFTER CHEMICAL RELEASE AT FAIRFIELD WARDE; NO CONTAMINATION
Tags: us_CT, laboratory, fire, response, other_chemical

FIRE AT CHEMICAL FACTORY
Tags: South_Africa, industrial, fire, response, cleaners


---------------------------------------------

VETERINARY CLINIC CHEMICAL EXPOSURES
http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20121208/NEWS/121209838/1078&ParentProfile=1062
Tags: us_CO, public, release, death, pesticides

EDWARDS A dog died and four people at a veterinarian clinic were sickened Friday after the animal ingested a toxic chemical, according to the Eagle River Fire Protection District.

The animal vomited the chemical on Friday after being brought into the Vail Valley Animal Hospital in Edwards, creating a gas that caused respiratory distress in the people immediately surrounding the gas, according to the fire district's press release.

Three people showed signs of respiratory distress and were taken to Vail Valley Medical Center for treatment. An additional person may have been exposed and was transported to the hospital as a precautionary measure.

The chemical was likely zinc phosphate, a pesticide used to eliminate rodents, said Gail McFarland, of the Eagle River Fire Protection District. It's not known where the dog ingested the toxic substance, McFarland said.

The dog and clinic equipment were taken outside to allow for continued treatment of the dog, but it did not survive, McFarland said.

It is unlikely that any other people were exposed to the gas, the fire district said. Symptoms of exposure would include burning of the throat, tightness of the chest and difficulty breathing.

---------------------------------------------

HAZMAT TEAM AT CAR WRECK WITH BUILDING
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/williamson/hazmat-team-at-car-wreck-with-building
Tags: us_TX, transportation, release, response, pool_chemicals

GEORGETOWN, Texas (KXAN) - HAZMAT crews worked to clear up a scene in Georgetown after an SUV ran into a building early Thursday morning.

Georgetown police got a call around 2 a.m. of a burglary alarm at Northwest Boulevard and West Frontage Road, where the A-Tex Family Fun Center sits.

When police got there, they found the SUV in the building. No one was hurt.

HAZMAT responded because some pool chemicals spilled.

---------------------------------------------

SPENCER DAILY REPORTER: LOCAL NEWS: ALL SAFE FOLLOWING CHEMICAL FIRE AT SHS (12/08/12)
http://www.spencerdailyreporter.com/story/1920907.html
Tags: us_IA, laboratory, fire, response, unknown_chemical

Friday morning students were forced to evacuate Spencer High School after a chemical fire in a science classroom prompted the move as a safety measure.

"Everyone is fine. No one was injured," Spencer High School Principal Joe Mueting said in a statement issued by the Spencer Community School District.

He added, "The staff and students did an excellent job of evacuating the building and returned to class without incident."

---------------------------------------------

STUDENTS, TEACHER CHECKED BY MEDIC AFTER CHEMICAL RELEASE AT FAIRFIELD WARDE; NO CONTAMINATION
http://www.minutemannewscenter.com/articles/2012/12/07/fairfield/news/doc50c25f9033f7d573959781.txt
Tags: us_CT, laboratory, fire, response, other_chemical

Shortly after 11 a.m. Friday, Fairfield's Emergency Communications Center received a call reporting a chemical release in a chemistry lab at Fairfield Warde High School on Melville Avenue. Fairfield Fire Engine 5, Ladder 2 and Car 3 were dispatched, with additional response from DEEP and Engine 2 and Engine 3, after it was determined that the small quantity of chemicals involved, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Iodide and Benzoic Acid, may have combined during a routine classroom heating process.

First responders reported that the event had taken place earlier Friday morning and the four students involved along with their teacher had been checked and released by the school nurse.

Precautionary measures including controlled entry and metering found no contamination or chemical product in the lab, which had been aired out during the earlier class; the teacher and students were checked by an AMR medic due to minor complaints before being released with the recommendation of follow up with their personal physician. No evacuation was required, and classes were not significantly disrupted; Fairfield Public Health Director Sands Cleary joined Fire and DEEP officials in clearing the classroom for occupancy shortly before 1 p.m.

---------------------------------------------

FIRE AT CHEMICAL FACTORY
http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/fire-at-chemical-factory-1.1437619#.UMOLauRi548
Tags: South_Africa, industrial, fire, response, cleaners

Pretoria - Damage estimated at thousands of rand was caused by a fire at Techno Chem factory in Pretoria North on Friday..

The company manufactures and distributes household and general cleaning chemicals which include dishwashing liquids, tile cleaners, air fresheners, disinfectants, kitchen cleaners and car shampoo.

Firefighters battled for more than five hours to extinguish the fire.

Tshwane Emergency Services spokesman Johan Pieterse, said it appeared that the blaze was caused by a machine which caught alight.

He said no one was injured.

Pieterse said there was a lot of chemical spillage, and the emergency services' Hazardous Materials Team was brought in to carry out mop-up operations.

"There is a lot of chemical spillage and we expect the clean-up operation to continue until tomorrow [Saturday]," said Pieterse.

---------------------------------------------


Ralph Stuart
secretary**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org
Secretary
Division of Chemical Health and Safety
American Chemical Society

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post



The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to secretary@dchas.org.
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.