From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Red gas identity
Date: May 24, 2013 3:39:42 PM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <C8DBC8E2-BBC9-435A-B9AF-DB2542428E86**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>

From: "Brennan, Catherine"
Subject: RE: [DCHAS-L] Red gas identity
Date: May 24, 2013 3:32:16 PM EDT

Bromine produces more of a brown smoke but it could be considered red-brown? By the way Simple Green makes many different cleaners (different chemical components) including industrial strength ones which might have been used here with what sounds like bromine tablets. You aren't supposed to mix anything but water with bromine tablets or you get the irritating brown smoke.

From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of Monona Rossol
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 1:29 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Red gas identity

OK, class. Below is the Google article about a mixture that created "a red smoke." The two chemicals were Simple Green and some kind of bromine pool chemical. Could that smoke have been bromine vapor? Or what?

Simple Green is a couple of detergents and 2-butoxyethanol (at least this is what it is this week since it changes a lot). Any ideas on what was happening here?

HAZMAT TEAM CLEARS ACCIDENTAL CHEMICAL MIX IN COLUMBIA 1.,0,6138930.story Tags: us_MD, public, release, injury, bromine, cleaners A Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue Services hazardous materials team cleared a potentially hazard chemical mixture Wednesday morning caused by a cleaning crew at the Columbia Athletic Club. According to a department spokesman, the crew was dispatched to the 5400 block of Beaverkill Road in Columbia at 8:35 a.m. after members of the cleaning crew accidentally mixed Bromine and "Simple Green," an all-purpose cleaner. The spokesman said the accidental mixture caused a red smoke, which was inhaled by one of the cleaning employees. The employee was taken to Howard County General Hospital as a precaution, according to the spokesman. The incident caused a road closure for over an hour. The incident was cleared by 10:09 a!
.m., according to the department'sTwitter account.
Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A., Industrial Hygienist
President: Arts, Crafts & Theater Safety, Inc.
Safety Officer: Local USA829, IATSE
181 Thompson St., #23
New York, NY 10012 212-777-0062

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.