From: "Ralph B. Stuart" <rstuart**At_Symbol_Here**CORNELL.EDU>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Help with terminology
Date: June 26, 2013 8:32:09 AM EDT
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: <5564F9EDC11C09468EE5DAF02B5CB30F3FA85673**At_Symbol_Here**>

As part of our incident review process, we are developing a "lessons learned" review process designed to encapsulate key points of either prevention or response to lab incidents that may apply in other laboratory settings on campus. An ongoing challenge I've faced is what to call the person who is more directly involved in the incident. Sometimes they are hurt as a consequence of the incident, sometimes not, but calling them the "victim" seems to prejudice the questions we want to ask about the event. Have other people come up with terms to describe the people who are at the scene of an incident and may or may not be involved in the cause of the incident?

Thanks for any help with this.

- Ralph

Ralph Stuart CIH
Chemical Hygiene Officer
Department of Environmental Health and Safety
Cornell University


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.