With the start of the new calendar year, I thought I would provide the list with a quick overview of recent work and 2014 plans for DCHAS. These include:
1. In follow up to the CSB report on academic laboratory safety, CHAS members have been deeply involved in a ACS Safety Initiative along with Committee on Chemical Safety (CCS) and Corporate Associates (CA). It comprises the following:
- the CCS Safety Culture document published in 2012
- the CCS Hazard Analysis document published in 2013
- a CHAS/CA/CCS document describing employer expectations of safety awareness among new hires (in preparation)
- a CCS Best Safety Practices document (in preparation)
- a CA/CHAS document on fostering safety at academic-industrial partnerships (in preparation)
2. We have found a sponsor for the College and University Health and Safety Award after NIOSH was forced to withdraw due to budget issues. The new sponsor is Safetystratus (http://www.safetystratus.com) who provides a commercial online inspection program for Laboratories ? LabcliQ.
3. We had divisional programs and workshops at all 2013 regional meetings and expect to be similarly involved in 2014.
I am currently gathering information for the Division's 2013 annual report to the ACS; if you have been involved in local activities appropriate to include in this report, please let me know.
Thanks for your interest in DCHAS!
Division of Chemical Health and Safety
American Chemical Society
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post