This is the hazardous waste part; I'm not addressing ppe here.
Bulk-dispose of the liquid preservative waste in an appropriate container and use the following waste codes: D001 and F001; and if you think there's mercury at > 5ppm, then add D009 (but I doubt that). Then add whatever state HW codes there are. Your hauler will likely know the answers.
Put the carcasses in a red bag labeled as "biohazardous" or that biohazardous waste symbol and dispose of it as medical waste.
The formaldehyde is irrelevant and U122 does not apply here, because it's not an expired unused chemical, it's a "spent solvent" with perhaps some methanol content; therefore F001. Flammable is D001. D009 is the >5ppm mercury part. We all know the hazards of formaldehyde, but in this case it's not a RCRA hazardous waste; and anyway, it's all going to the HW incinerator so it'll be responsibly managed.
If the university already has a hazardous waste service set up - like they should, with the EPA ID No for your location - you might be able to bulk the preservative waste together with the regular D001 waste stream. If mercury's > 5ppm, then all bets are off for that idea.
All you can do is deliver the bad news if your department balks at the high cost - not much you can do about that. This is the inevitable EOC (end of cycle) of preserved specimens. That's how to get rid of everything at once.
The only "trick" I can think of is to dispose of this at a rate of one jar per month in the university's D001 waste stream and there will never be a noticeable spike in solvent waste.
Eric Clark, MS, CHMM, CCHO
Safety Officer, Public Health Scientist III
Los Angeles County Public Health Laboratory
Hope all is well. From the 1940s, I would assume formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is hazardous and needs to be disposed off following your state's regs on disposal. You will have to use a licensed hauler. Make sure your school or district has an EPA ID number which is needed for disposal. I would contact your state dept of environmental services for help and guidance. In all cases your school has to be formaldehyde free.
Laboratory Safety Consultant
Sent from my iPad
On Jun 2, 2014, at 10:01 PM, Laura Damon <ldamon**At_Symbol_Here**FVCC.EDU> wrote:
We are cleaning out and remodeling our biology lab and have LOTS of preserved specimens, some from as far back as the 1940's. The biology folks want to discard these. My question�is there any way to dispose of them other than through a hazardous waste facility? I assume most are stored in formaldehyde solution.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom and replies.
Laura L Damon
Coordinator of Instructional Safety and Chemical Hygiene
Flathead Valley Community College
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post