From: Allen Niemi <anniemi**At_Symbol_Here**MTU.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Chemical Safety headlines from Google (10 articles)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 08:24:00 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: CAN0bzO5j9XUJ4sZ14Lw8WzoWsP2pdsnJHvP69wAk5TJQqkk2vQ**At_Symbol_Here**
In-Reply-To <0CFF9E6E-B8AC-436C-8EF4-0C18A1B523B5**At_Symbol_Here**>

I disagree that the fire was caused by a simple error (clearly, it was not simple to the person doing the demonstration) and that it was solely due to employee error -- it's rarely that clear cut. Let's just say I'm skeptical at this point that everything was done correctly at all levels. And, is there no safer way to demonstrate a tornado? Seems like they may have glossed over the step where you eliminate the hazard during their original hazard analysis.


On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**> wrote:
Chemical Safety Headlines From Google
Friday, September 5, 2014 at 7:31:05 AM


Tags: us_NV, public, follow-up, injury

RENO, Nev. (AP) - A flash fire that injured 13 people, mainly children, at a Nevada science museum happened when an employee applied the chemicals in the wrong order during a tabletop demonstration about the mechanics of tornadoes, officials said Thursday.

Reno firefighters said a three- to five-second blaze erupted Wednesday at the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum after the presenter poured alcohol on a cotton ball that had been dusted with boric acid and partially ignited. The alcohol is supposed to be applied before the boric acid and the flame.

"It was a simple oversight by the presenter," Reno Fire Chief Michael Hernandez said in a statement. "Our prevention staff will be meeting with museum staff to review demonstration and safety procedures and make appropriate recommendations as necessary."

The Nevada Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident, spokeswoman Teri Williams said.

Eight children and one adult were transported to a Reno hospital for minor burns or smoke inhalation, Reno spokesman Matthew Brown said. One child was hospitalized overnight, but all patients had been released by Thursday afternoon, according to officials at Renown Regional Medical Center.


Allen Niemi, PhD
Occupational Safety and Health Services
Room 322 Lakeshore Center
Michigan Technological University
Phone: 906-487-2118
Fax: 906-487-3048

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.