I was asked the below from a researcher about the use of acidified bleach to inactivate pathogens.. Anyone used this technique or the spray bottles? Thanks in advance
Here is the issue:
I want to use acidified 10% bleach as this is much more effective and has a shorter required contact time for the pathogens we are working with.
The recommendation from DOH and CDC is 1 part bleach 8 parts water and 1 part vinegar.
Adding the vinegar directly to the bleach will change the pH so quickly that the chlorine will ionize and release chlorine into the air so the recommendation is to first dilute the bleach with the water and then add the vinegar.
Here is my issue: we use the sprayers that dilute the bleach with water on the spot. Pull the trigger and it takes 1 part bleach from one holding chamber and 9 parts water from the other holding chamber in the sprayer. Can I put 10% vinegar in the water holding chamber and achieve the same effect without having that ionizing problem? Essentially diluting the vinegar first and then adding the bleach?
I’m no chemist, so maybe y’all know someone that can answer this question for me.
Coordinator for Clinical and Laboratory Safety Programs
Environmental Health and Safety
University of Florida
POB 112190 Bldg 179 Newell Dr.
Gainesville, Fl 32611-2190
“Just because you are in compliance doesn’t mean you are out of danger.” Mike Rowe
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post