From: George Walton <georgewalton**At_Symbol_Here**REACTIVES.COM>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] [UK OFFICIAL] Transport of dangerous chemicals
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 18:29:02 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: 005701d04e2e$2d4d7ee0$87e87ca0$**At_Symbol_Here**
In-Reply-To <4DD516EA8567F646A0915DD4F65D9B868EC686BC17**At_Symbol_Here**>

If you look in the International Air Transport Association Dangerous Goods Regulations and/or the International Dangerous Goods Code, you will find a list of organizations that sell UN-performance oriented packaging.  To select the correct packaging, determine the basic description (always in the format of UN Id number / Proper Shipping Name / Hazard Class / Packing Group).  In either reference, look in the dangerous goods list to the right of the basic description.  There are multiple columns that list the size of the inner receptacle and the packaging instruction.  Go to the packaging instructions (yellow pages in IATA; a P-table (POO1, etc) in section 4 of IMDGC and it will list the inner receptacle (metal, plastic, glass) and the authorized outer receptacle.  I am ASSUMING that the outer packaging will be a 4G / X corrugated or fiberboard box.  Go to a supplier and order a box with a GROSS mass (in kilograms) greater that the weight of the inner receptacle plus any packaging or cushioning material plus the mass of the outer container.


By the way, in both IATA and IMODGC there are a list of training requirements that the shipper must meet before offering dangerous goods for transportation.


George C. Walton, CHMM

Reactives Management Corporation

1025 Executive Blvd., Suite 101

Chesapeake, VA  23320

(757) 436-1033


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of Williams Gareth R
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:27 AM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] [UK OFFICIAL] Transport of dangerous chemicals


Classification: UK OFFICIAL

Handling Instruction: OPEN SOURCE - This email contains information that is available from open sources

Fellow scientists and safety professionals across the pond,


I work for the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (part of the UK Ministry of Defence).  We are essentially the UK version of DoD’s Edgewood Chemical & Biological centre.


It doesn’t take much imagination to know that we work with quantities of high-hazard, acutely toxic materials, all of which fall under GHS Acute Toxicity Class 1.


My question is, how do I find a suitable UN approved container to transport 5g of an acutely toxic solid and 5g of an acutely toxic liquid from our synthesis laboratories to our analytical facility.  We used to use bespoke containers, but these are no longer an option as we cannot demonstrate that they are fit for purpose.  We would therefore like to source a commercial solution.


Any ideas?


Grateful for any help,




Gareth R. Williams PhD

Dstl Porton Down

United Kingdom


"This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only.   Its unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  Communications with Dstl are monitored and/or recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business intelligence, business metrics and training.  Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect Dstl policy."


"If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and notify the author of the email and centralenq**At_Symbol_Here**"

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.