From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Texas Tech Lessons Learned: Failure To Segregate Waste Streams
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 09:44:33 -0400
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: E71FF7F3-F11F-4CFE-9FBA-943D96179682**At_Symbol_Here**

More information and Pictures at:

Failure To Segregate Waste Streams Mixes Nitric Acid And Organic Solvent, Causes Waste Bottle To Explode From Pressure Buildup; Written Procedures Did Not Reflect Current Procedures - February 2015

What happened?

On February 2, 2015 in a chemistry teaching lab three undergraduate students and a graduate teaching assistant (TA) were injured and required medical attention when a glass waste bottle exploded. The bottle exploded while a student tried opening the container to add waste during the course of the planned experiment. The lab was evacuated and the Texas Tech Police Department and the Lubbock Fire Department responded to secure the lab and transport the injured to the hospital.

All students and personnel were wearing appropriate personal protective equipment including lab coats, safety goggles and gloves.

Ralph Stuart
Division of Chemical Health and Safety
American Chemical Society

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.