From: Russell Vernon <russell.vernon**At_Symbol_Here**>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Lab Coats In Teaching Labs and Research Labs at Academic Institutions
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 22:15:00 +0000
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: BE28425130279043A5B92A2BC7116E23207731FD**At_Symbol_Here**

This is what UC Riverside does as well with the Central Storehouse in lieu of the “veterinary medicine central stores” at Davis


Russell Vernon, Ph.D.
Environmental Health & Safety
University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave
Riverside, CA 92521
Direct (951) 827-5119
Admin (951) 827-5528
Fax (951) 827-5122

Taking a trip overseas? 

Access Location Intelligence: and enter your UC Net ID


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of Debbie M. Decker
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 2:05 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Lab Coats In Teaching Labs and Research Labs at Academic Institutions


Responses below.




Debbie M. Decker, CCHO, ACS Fellow

Chair, Division of Chemical Health and Safety

University of California, Davis





Birkett's hypothesis: "Any chemical reaction

that proceeds smoothly under normal conditions,

can proceed violently in the presence of an idiot."


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU] On Behalf Of Kohler, Christopher E
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 12:01 PM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Lab Coats In Teaching Labs and Research Labs at Academic Institutions


Greetings all,


We are trying to get a handle on the current norm for providing lab coats (or aprons) in 1) teaching labs, and 2) in research labs at academic institutions.


Has anyone done any benchmarking or know of any recent articles?


Some of the questions we have include:


Do you require “lab coats” in academic chemistry teaching labs?


Yes – White cotton for students.  Light blue for TAs.  The light blue ones happen to be FR cotton, for a variety of reasons we can discuss off line.


Do you require “aprons” in academic teaching labs?


Recommended under some circumstances.


Do you require “lab coats” in research labs?




Do you require “fire resistant (FR) lab coats” in organic research labs?


Depending on circumstances – use of pyrophoric/water reactive materials, quantities of flammable solvents, use of open flame.


Do you rent them?




Do you purchase them?


Undergrads purchase through the bookstore.  Researchers purchase (with PI recharge) through on-campus veterinary medicine central stores.  They have a fit-set of coats, an inventory of coats for sale, and have the ability to barcode the coats for laundry and update the PI profile.  TA coats are provided by the department.


Do you have the vendor launder them?


Yes, for researcher coats.


Do you launder them yourselves?


Undergrads do.


Who pays for them?




Many thanks,




Christopher E. Kohler, MS, LPG, CCHO

Laboratory Safety Manager, EHS


Environmental Health and Safety

1514 E Third Street

Bloomington, IN 47405

(812) 855-5454



Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.