I had the experience, when I was a graduate assistant, of a student who was inserting a mercury thermometer through a rubber stopper by placing their hand near the top of the thermometer. Needless to say that when the thermometer broke (yes this was a few years back) it almost went through the students hand. Now we had to deal with a mercury spill, BPP issue, and an panicked student that though the mercury that touched them was going to kill them. The class was trained to place their hand 1/2 to 1 inch about the stopper and using their index and thumb grip the thermometer, keeping the rest of the hand away, to slowly push it through but the student was in a hurry.
From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**med.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Stuart, Ralph
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:26 AM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Glassware injury lesson learned report?
Does anyone have a relatively detailed favorite Lessons Learned report for a situation which involves significant cuts from broken glassware in a lab that doesn‰??t involve over-pressurization of the vessel? I‰??m doing a training next week for undergraduate students and I‰??d like to make the point that it‰??s not always the chemistry that creates the problem. The example I have in mind could involve hot glassware that breaks when someone tries to pick it up and drops it, but similar events would be helpful as well.
Thanks for any assistance with this.
Ralph Stuart, CIH, CCHO
Chemical Hygiene Officer
Keene State College
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post