From: James Saccardo <James.Saccardo**At_Symbol_Here**CSI.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Radioactive Powder Question
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 16:55:46 +0000
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: 7088dfe83c4c46bc89067e733b66a999**At_Symbol_Here**MBOX-02.FLAS.CSI.CUNY.EDU
In-Reply-To <4677A80586C7274F87EDA02C6738D2C558A0FA29**At_Symbol_Here**>


You should determine what class or radioactive waste you have - Class A, B, C or GTCC. This is determined by the time it takes to go through 10 half lives. Any vendor accepting this waste will also want to know the isotope(s) and approximate activity levels. Depending on the state where the material is and the disposal state things could get complicated, the transporter may have to have permits to transport radioactivity in each state and another permit with the disposal facility that should be in place before the material is offered for transit (landfill permits are usually valid for six months).


Some transporters do a milk run, bring everything back to their facility, entomb similar isotopic waste in concrete and the concrete is shipped to the land fill. Make sure they use an NRC manifest if your material is regulated for disposal.


Sounds like your waste may be uranyl acetate (UA) - but I am just taking a guess. There is a new low level disposal site that opened up in TX (c.a. 2014) and there are other in the state of Washington.


Here is a list of reputable vendors from the USDA.

I have used Bionomics in the past and they are very good. They can service almost any state in the union. If you're in the NYC area,  Radiac is also a reputable vendor who knows what they are doing.


Good luck and be patient. You may have to steward the material for a while before you can make disposal arrangements and it finally get it out the door.


Be well,


James Saccardo, MS, CHMM


"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

                                             Benjamin Franklin


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**] On Behalf Of Didomenico, Steve [JRDUS]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:27 AM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Radioactive Powder Question


Hi Michelle,


Can you tell me what isotope is listed on the container of the radioactive powder?


Steve DiDomenico

Staff, Radiation Safety Specialist


Janssen Research & Development, LLC

Environmental Health & Safety

1400 McKean Road

Spring House, PA 19477-0776

Office Tel: 215-628-5053

Mobile: 610-389-1144

Mail Stop: 41-1210D



From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**] On Behalf Of Michelle M.
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] More Objective Information


There is some radioactive powder that is currently in a lab storage closet. It has been shielded with lead plates in a metal filing cabinet, and is following regulations. However, we would like to remove the item from the premises.  Is there anyone who knows of a special facility to dispose of this item? Thank you for your assistance






CSI Tops MONEY magazine=E2=80™s Best Colleges list for 2015-2016>

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.