From: "Frankie Wood-Black" <fwblack**At_Symbol_Here**cableone.net>
To: "DCHAS-L List" <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 4:30:08 PM
Subject: Some Boston Meeting Highlights from ACS GovernanceAs one of your councilors for the Division, I thought I would pass along some highlights from the Governance of the Society.Information about the Strategic Plan of the ACS can be found http://strategy.acs.org/Information about the financial health of the ACS as well as the financial information presented at the ACS Council meeting can be found http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/about/governance/committees/budget.htmlA summary is presented here:
B&F reviewed the Society's 2015 probable year-end financial projection which expects a Net Contribution from Operations of $15.5 million, or $2.1 million higher than the Approved Budget. Total revenues are projected at $512.1 million, which at $481,000 favorable is essentially on Budget. Total expenses are projected at $496.6 million, which is $1.6 million or 0.3% favorable to the Approved. This variance is the result of lower-than-budgeted expenses across almost all major expense categories.Council Meetings in the Fall include elections to the "Elected Committees of Council" which are the Committee on Committees, Nomination and Elections, and Council Policy Committee.
- By electronic ballot, the Council elected Christopher J. Bannochie, Michelle V. Buchanan, Alan B. Cooper, Donna G. Friedman, and Carolyn Ribes for a 2016-2018 term, and Jetty Duffy-Matzner for a two-year term, 2016-2017, on the Committee on Committees.
- By electronic ballot, the Council elected Frank D. Blum, Mary K. Carroll, Lisa Houston, and Lee H. Latimer for a 2016-2018 term on the committee on the Council Policy Committee.
- By electronic ballot, the Council elected Mary K. (Moore) Engelman, Roland F. Hirsch, C. Marvin Lang, Les W. McQuire, and Donivan R. Porterfield for a 2016-2018 term on the Committee on Nominations and Elections. --There were two By Law votes:
- The Council VOTED to approve the Petition on Preferential Voting, contingent upon confirmation by the ACS Board of Directors.
- The Council VOTED to approve the Petition on Member Expulsion, contingent upon confirmation by the ACS Board of Directors.And - the question was asked if anyone was ever expelled from the ACS. The answer is yes but the last time was back in the 1960's.There are some new International Chemical Science Chapters:
- On the recommendation of the Committee on International Activities, Council VOTED to approve the establishment of the Australia, Brazil, Nigeria, Peru, and United Arab Emirates International Chemical Sciences Chapters, subject to confirmation by the Board of Directors.And our own Bob Hill, Councilor for CHAS put forth one of the resolutions approved at the Council Meeting.
- The Council passed several resolutions, including one acknowledging President Diane Grob Schmidt's service as presiding officer of the Council and expressing gratitude for her 48 years of service to the Society.A brief reminder who is running for elected office:
Candidates for President-Elect, 2016
- G. Bryan Balazs, Associate Program Leader, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
- Allison A. Campbell, Associate Laboratory Director, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA
Candidates for Directors-at-Large, 2016-2018
- Lee H. Latimer, Head of Chemistry, NeurOp, Inc., Oakland, CA
- Willem R. Leenstra, Associate Professor, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Ingrid Montes, Professor, University of Puerto Rico - Rio Piedras Campus, San Juan, PR
- Mary Jo Ondrechen, Professor of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- Thomas W. Smith, Professor, Chemistry & Microsystems Engineering, School of Chemistry and Materials Science, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, NY
Candidates for District I Director, 2016-2018
- Thomas R. Gilbert, Professor, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- Laura E. Pence, Professor of Chemistry, University of Hartford, West Hartford, CT
Candidates for District V Director, 2016-2018
- John E. Adams, Curators' Teaching Professor, University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO
- Kenneth P. Fivizzani, Retired, Nalco Company, Naperville, ILOther committees made presentations, but of interest to DCHAS is the report of Chemical Safety:
CCS reported that it had been requested by the Chemical Safety Board (CSB) to assist in developing guidance with methods to recognize, assess, and control hazards in research laboratories. The CCS released its final report, "Identifying and Evaluating Hazards in Research Laboratories," in 2015. Councilors and their institutions who are engaged in research were urged to consider using this guide to help keep their laboratories safer. This report is available at www.acs.org/safety.
The full report from Council will be made available prior to the next National ACS Meeting in San Diego.Frankie Wood-Black, Ph.D., REM, MBAPrincipal - Sophic Pursuits6855 Lake RoadPonca City, OK 74604
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post