From: "Secretary, ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety" <secretary**At_Symbol_Here**DCHAS.ORG>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Chemical Safety headlines from Google (7 articles)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 06:34:36 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: DAFCFDA7-46AB-4501-9ECA-310EF20CE52D**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org


Chemical Safety Headlines From Google
Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 6:34:10 AM

A membership benefit of the ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety
All article summaries and tags are archived at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__pinboard.in_u-3Adchas&d=BQIFaQ&c=lb62iw4YL4RFalcE2hQUQealT9-RXrryqt9KZX2qu2s&r=meWM1Buqv4IQ27AlK1OJRjcQl09S1Zta6YXKalY_Io0&m=wm3sx_5f7x4KLOjfFkT9GO7QZJ4HfoWFSXvYjPjYvUc&s=9aa71dxCSM2BhP5DLQO0FTz1h4nU0x6RJx8ltf7OLDc&e=

Table of Contents (7 articles)

GAS LEAK SHUTS DOWN DANVERS WATER TREATMENT PLANT
Tags: us_MA, industrial, release, injury, water_treatment

CHEMICAL LEAK AT BUILDING IN SW ALBUQUERQUE CAUSES EVACUATION
Tags: us_NM, laboratory, release, response, other_chemical

HAZMAT INCIDENT PROMPTS EVACUATION AT A SAN JOSE FIRE DEPARTMENT
Tags: us_CA, public, discovery, response, explosives

HOUSTON-AREA MALL EVACUATED AFTER HOVERBOARD CATCHES FIRE
Tags: us_TX, public, fire, response, fire_extinguisher

SEVEN SHARJAH WAREHOUSES CATCH FIRE
Tags: United_Arab_Emirates, industrial, fire, response, flammables, plastics

HOVERBOARD CATCHES FIRE IN LACEY ?? NEWSWORKS
Tags: us_NJ, industrial, fire, response

MAN, 76, TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER CHEMICAL CONTACT (FROM THE ARGUS)
Tags: United_Kingdom, public, release, injury, dust, mercury


---------------------------------------------

GAS LEAK SHUTS DOWN DANVERS WATER TREATMENT PLANT
Tags: us_MA, industrial, release, injury, water_treatment

MIDDLETON ?? A gas leak inside the Danvers Water Treatment Plant, which is located on Lake Street in Middleton, forced the plant to shut down Tuesday around 1:45 p.m.
One employee was sent to the hospital as a precaution, according to Danvers town officials.
The Middleton Fire Department and a state Regional Hazardous Materials Response team were on scene monitoring air samples around the plant, but there was no indication of danger to the neighborhood, according to an update from the town and the Middleton fire chief.
An update around 5 p.m. on Tuesday said air quality readings taken outside the treatment plant did not show any indication of hazardous gas in the area. But to ensure residents' safety, air quality samples were being taken on Lake Street, Esteymere Place and Boston Street.

---------------------------------------------

CHEMICAL LEAK AT BUILDING IN SW ALBUQUERQUE CAUSES EVACUATION
Tags: us_NM, laboratory, release, response, other_chemical

The CFV Solar Test Laboratory in southeast Albuquerque was evacuated Tuesdsay afternoon because of a nitric oxide leak.
The company was alerted by their own contamination system and the building's air filtration system filtered any dangerous chemicals remaining in the air out of the building, according to Bernalillo County Fire spokesman Larry Gallegos.
Gallegos said county and Albuquerque fire crews responded to the hazmat situation, which wrapped up not long after 4:30 p.m. No injuries were reported.

---------------------------------------------

HAZMAT INCIDENT PROMPTS EVACUATION AT A SAN JOSE FIRE DEPARTMENT
Tags: us_CA, public, discovery, response, explosives

SAN JOES (KRON) ?? A hazardous materials incident prompted an evacuation at a San Jose fire station on Tuesday, a fire captain said.

Around 9:40 a.m., fire crews were notified that someone brought in items that pose an explosive threat at Fire Station 11 at 2840 The Villages Parkway.

A man brought in the item after finding it in a storage unit and it was initially reported to be blasting caps and black powder, prompting an evacuation of the fire station and nearby buildings. Others in the area were advised to shelter in place.

Investigators, including the San Joes police bomb squad, eventually determined they were shotgun caps and powder used to make shotgun shells.

Once authorities eliminated any possible hazards and secured the items, the all-clear was given at about 10:45 a.m., officials said,

---------------------------------------------

HOUSTON-AREA MALL EVACUATED AFTER HOVERBOARD CATCHES FIRE
Tags: us_TX, public, fire, response, fire_extinguisher

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A suburban Houston mall was evacuated for nearly an hour on Monday after a hoverboard caught fire inside the sprawling structure, an official said.

The hoverboard had been returned to a kiosk inside Deerbrook Mall because it was not charging properly, according to a Humble Fire Department spokesperson.

The kiosk owner attempted to charge it, but was unsuccessful, so put the skateboard-like electronic device back in the box. The hoverboard then caught fire.

A witness video posted to local TV broadcaster KHOU shows what is purported to be the incident with the object bursting into flames while a bystander screams.

A mall employee discharged two dry chemical extinguishers. The mall was evacuated for 45 minutes in order to clean the area.

---------------------------------------------

SEVEN SHARJAH WAREHOUSES CATCH FIRE
Tags: United_Arab_Emirates, industrial, fire, response, flammables, plastics

SHARJAH: Sharjah Civil Defence controlled a massive fire that broke out at seven warehouses at industrial area number 3.

All the contents of the warehouses were totally burnt causing huge financial losses. However, no one was injured.

Colonel Majid Salim Al Suwaidi, Deputy Director of Sharjah Civil Defence said that the fire occurred in the early morning hours of Saturday at around 6.30 am.

??The area has many warehouses and as soon as fire brigades and police patrols arrived, the area was cordoned to ensure the fire does not spread to neighbouring warehouse.

The blaze control process was conducted in cooperation with Dubai and Ajman Civil Defence in addition to the various civil defense centres in Sharjah.

Preliminary report showed that fire initially started at one of the warehouses where various flammable substances were stored. This led to the rapid spread of fire, other warehouses had car tyres, plastics and wooden items in it.

After completing the extinguishing process, the Sharjah Civil Defence handed over the warehouses premises to the forensic laboratory of Sharjah police. They have launched a probe to find out the main cause behind the incident.

---------------------------------------------

HOVERBOARD CATCHES FIRE IN LACEY ?? NEWSWORKS
Tags: us_NJ, industrial, fire, response

One of the most popular holiday gifts of the year that has become infamous across the county due to explosions and fires is reportedly responsible for a combustion at the Jersey Shore.

Lanoka Harbor firefighters responded to a call today for a hoverboard igniting in Lacey Township, according to a posting on the fire department's Facebook page.

"Do not leave them unattended monitor them while charging," the posting states. "Register them for warranties and check for manufacturer recalls."

A Facebook comment by a fire department spokesperson says that the device was charging while the residents were home and a portion of a room's carpet was burned. The fire remains under investigation.

A hoverboard, a cross between a skateboard and a segway, quickly became a trend this year, but at a cost.

Authorities have reported numerous fires and emergency room visits due to falls. Airlines have banned the toy, Amazon.com is no longer selling most brands, and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is now investigating.

---------------------------------------------

MAN, 76, TAKEN TO HOSPITAL AFTER CHEMICAL CONTACT (FROM THE ARGUS)
Tags: United_Kingdom, public, release, injury, dust, mercury

A 76-year-old man has been taken to hospital after coming into contact with potentially dangerous chemical powder.

Police said the incident at an address in Mill Bay Lane, Horsham, this afternoon was not suspicious.

It has been reported the powder was mercury iodide, which has some uses in veterinary medicine.

Emergency services were called to the property at around 1.15pm today.

Police closed the road up to the junction with Worthing Road and put a cordon in place as a precaution while they made sure the scene was safe.

---------------------------------------------

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post



The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to secretary@dchas.org.
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.