From: "Wright, Mike" <mwright**At_Symbol_Here**USW.ORG>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Question Concerning Insurance and Liability for Undergraduate Lab Accidents
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 19:19:45 +0000
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: 673A00C44C25834BA3198AADFC1EB7AE361682F1**At_Symbol_Here**PIT-MAIL01.uswa-us.local

If a university or college has enough undergraduate lab accidents requiring ambulances for this to become an issue, that institution has a much bigger problem than insurance.  


Michael J. Wright

Director of Health, Safety and Environment

United Steelworkers


412-562-2580 office

412-370-0105 cell


See us on the web at


From: DCHAS-L Discussion List [mailto:dchas-l**At_Symbol_Here**] On Behalf Of Margaret Rakas
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Question Concerning Insurance and Liability for Undergraduate Lab Accidents


Where this gets tricky is 1) the deductible for ER or ambulance services, which for some plans can be quite high; 2) the insurer 'pushing back' because (among other reasons) this kinda sorta looks like Workers Comp, particularly if the student is performing research.  I understand the distinction--the student is not an employee, etc--but if you think the insurance companies are not going to try to push back against (in particular) an individual--then you have had much better experiences with them than everyone else I know.


So who is legally responsible for the deductibles?  Certainly the individual will be billed; whether the institution covers them in some or all cases, I guess, depends on state law and institutional policies...

My two cents...



On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Simolo, Ken <simolo**At_Symbol_Here**> wrote:

At our institution (and I believe in most others), the students have to have their own medical insurance in order to be a student here.  Usually they pay a small fee that gives them every day access to a health care service for things like the flu.  But it is expected that they will use their own private insurance for major medical costs such as an ambulance.  It would not make much sense to have the institution pay for a medical cost that is covered by the student's insurance.





On Apr 7, 2016, at 1:29 PM, Monona Rossol <actsnyc**At_Symbol_Here**CS.COM> wrote:


Geez.  Not only do students go into debt for tuition, they have to pay for their own medical costs for accidents in the lab?  You gotta be kidding.  When I went to school, tuition was a snap and there was a health service that picked up just about everything you needed whether school-related or not. 


I don't know why these kids are not in the streets with placards.  No wonder you-know-who is doing well in the polls.


Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A., Industrial Hygienist

President:  Arts, Crafts & Theater Safety, Inc.

Safety Officer: Local USA829, IATSE

181 Thompson St., #23

New York, NY 10012     212-777-0062




Margaret A. Rakas, Ph..D.
Manager, Inventory & Regulatory Affairs
Clark Science Center
413-585-3877 (p)

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.