One worker died and two others were hospitalized after being overcome by a lack of oxygen while cleaning inside a rail tanker. This is the fourth time New Orleans-based employer Dedicated TCS has been cited for the same confined space violations. An OSHA investigation found that the employer failed to: test the atmosphere inside the tanker; require workers to attach a lifeline to their harnesses to allow for rescue; and complete a respiratory protection program. OSHA proposed fines of $226,310. Read the news release for more information.
Russell Stover Candies fined $193K, designated 'severe violator,' after ammonia release shuts Kansas plant
Hundreds of workers were evacuated from the Russell Stover Candies plant in Iola, Kan., after an air-conditioning unit pipe failed, causing the release of 22 pounds of anhydrous ammonia. None of the workers were injured. OSHA cited the company for 19 violations involving the agency"s process safety management standards when using highly hazardous chemicals. The company faces $193,600 in proposed fines and has been placed in the Severe Violator Enforcement Program. For more information, read the news release.
Georgia automotive parts manufacturer faces $145K in fines after flash fire severely burns maintenance technician
OSHA has issued citations to Nakanishi Manufacturing Corp. for 20 safety and health violations following the severe injury of a worker in its Winterville, Ga., facility. The 33-year-old worker was operating a dust collector when an explosion occurred. Flames engulfed the man, causing third-degree burns to his upper body. The employee continues to recover from his injuries. "Nakanishi Manufacturing had four previous fires in the dust collection system in Winterville and management knew that the combustible dust hazard was not corrected, yet they continued to let workers operate the system," said William Fulcher, director of OSHA's Atlanta-East Area Office. "Out of sight, out of mind is not an acceptable strategy for fixing workplace hazards." For more information, see the news release.
OSHA cites Ohio fertilizer company after worker dies from exposure to manure gas
A 31-year-old worker with W. E. Soil Enhancement died from exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas while loading pig manure into trailers for use as fertilizer. OSHA cited the Vickery, Ohio, company for three serious safety violations, which included failing to: provide engineering controls and respiratory protection to protect workers from exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas; develop and train workers on a hazard communication program; and identify and evaluate respiratory hazards. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, agriculture is among the most dangerous occupations in America, with 143 deaths recorded in the industry in 2014. For mor information, see the news brief.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post