From: Joe Takahashi <joemt**At_Symbol_Here**EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] radiation safety
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 09:51:57 -0700
Reply-To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**MED.CORNELL.EDU>
Message-ID: f0e3b95c-9d80-59fb-5589-911d6c60e1c8**At_Symbol_Here**

It depends on whether your facility under the Nuclear Regulatory Commission or is in an agreement state. If you are in an agreement state there is a state agency that regulates the use of radioactive materials and radiation producing machines. On the federal level, look at Code of Federal Regulation, Title 10. In California, look in California Code of Regulations, Title 17. Title 10 is the best resource if your facility does not have an existing radioactive materials license. If there is a license, look at the license documentation and the license itself to see what the facility has committed to the regulatory agency.

If you are not involve with regulating radioactive materials, the facility should have a department that provides radiation safety training.

Other resources are a close by major University or the Health Physics Society. The HPS has a section: Ask the Expert, which can answer most radiation questions

On 7/1/2016 3:31 AM, Mubetcel Moorefield wrote:
Hi, all,
I am getting ready to start a new job where I will need to deal with radioactive materials. - Can anybody direct me to some resources where I can find out about safety rules and regulations for such substances?

Thank you for any help you may offer.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.