From: "Toxicology and Environmental Health" <USNLMTEH**At_Symbol_Here**public.govdelivery.com>Subject: New resources for the opioid crisisDate: November 2, 2017 at 9:40:58 AM GMT-4
New resources for the opioid crisis
Opiates are chemicals that come from the poppy flower. A synthetic form, opioids, are used in medications. On October 26, 2017, Acting Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Eric D. Hargan declared a public health emergency to address the national opioid crisis. A public health emergency declaration lasts for 90 days and can be extended. Yesterday, the President's Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis released a report that includes 56 recommendations for action.
In this email, we have compiled a list of resources that provide authoritative information on the opioid crisis.
National Library of Medicine (NLM) resources:
- Opiate Addiction and Treatment Information Guide https://sis.nlm.nih.gov/enviro/addiction.html
- Disaster Lit =AE search of opioid guidelines, reports, factsheets, etc., including:
- Fentanyl Safety Recommendations for First Responders https://disasterlit.nlm.nih.gov/record/16121
- How HIPAA Allows Doctors to Respond to the Opioid Crisis https://disasterlit.nlm.nih.gov/record/16093
- Preventing Opioid Misuse in the States and Territories: A Public Health Framework for Cross-Sector Leadership https://disasterlit.nlm.nih.gov/record/15995
- MedlinePlus Opioid Abuse and Addiction https://medlineplus.gov/opioidabuseandaddiction.html
- Abuso y adicci=C3=B3n de opioids https://medlineplus.gov/spanish/opioidabuseandaddiction.html
- HealthReach low-literacy patient materials about opioids, opioid addiction, and opioid treatment (includes documents, videos, and audio)
Libraries and the opioid crisis:
- Opioid Crisis Town Hall: Library Needs and Responses (WebJunction, September 12, 2017) http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/opioid-crisis-town-hall.html
- Other Duties as Assigned-Public Librarians in the Heart of the Opioid Epidemic (Public Libraries Online, September 11, 2017) http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2017/09/other-duties-as-assigned-public-librarians-in-the-heart-of-the-opioid-epidemic/
- Libraries and the Opioid Crisis Facebook page (login required) https://www.facebook.com/groups/librariesopioidcrisis/
- More articles about libraries and the opioid crisis in our bibliography: https://disasterinfo.nlm.nih.gov/dimrc/bibliographydisaster.html
- December 6 and 7, 2017, the HHS Office of the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will host an Opioid Symposium and Code-a-Thon to promote and employ innovative ways to leverage technology and data to address the nationwide opioid epidemic.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post