From: Samuella B. Sigmann <sigmannsb**At_Symbol_Here**APPSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] 'Large fireball' injures students in chemistry experiment gone wrong
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 19:24:31 -0500
Reply-To: ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**PRINCETON.EDU>
Message-ID: af1bd209-c615-a2c0-cdbc-7371fed62c2f**At_Symbol_Here**

Their definition of "experiment" is also significantly different than the one I use....å Watching colored flames burn hardly evokes the scientific method.å I have updated the presentation slide...

1.Oklahoma City, OK ‰?? November 2011
2.Maple Grove, MN ‰?? December 2011
3.Frisco, TX ‰?? September 2013
4.Avondale, AZå - November , 2013
5.New York, NY ‰?? January 2014
6.Reno, NV ‰?? September 2014
7.Denver, CO ‰?? September 2014
8.Raymond, IL ‰?? October, 2014
9.Chicago, IL ‰?? November, 2014
10.Tallahassee, FL ‰?? May 2015
11.Washington, DC ‰?? October 30, 2015
12.Perth Amboy, NJ ‰?? May 24, 2017
13.New York, NY ‰?? November 22, 2017

And over a decade ago, the Associated Press reported that at least 150 students had been seriously injured in school laboratory accidents between 1998 and 2002.

... at least they will get into a "good" university.å (Sorry, I could not resist).å Everyone have a safe Thanksgiving.

On 11/22/2017 5:35 PM, Stuart, Ralph wrote:
I am willing to guess that the school's report that "there were no hazardous materials involved‰?? relies on a definition of "hazardous materials" different from the one I use...

- Ralph

'Large fireball' injures students in chemistry experiment gone wrong

Four students at an elite all-girls Catholic high school in New York City reportedly suffered burns and respiratory injuries Wednesday after a ‰??large fireball‰?? exploded in a chemistry experiment gone wrong.

A teacher at the school was conducting a flame experiment in front of a class and the flame apparently grew too large, Sister Patricia Wolf, president of St. Catherine Academy, told NBC New York.

‰??This morning an accident occurred during a demonstration in which several students were singed by a flame in the chemistry lab,‰?? the school said in a statement. ‰??Four students were sent to the hospital. There were no hazardous materials involved.‰??

The teacher was distraught after the incident, Wolf said, but all the students are expected to be okay, NBC New York reported. The parents of all the students were notified by text.

The private school, which charges around $9,000 per year in tuition, has ‰??a 100 percent college acceptance rate to some of the finest colleges and universities in the world,‰?? its website says.

For more information about the DCHAS-L e-mail list, contact the Divisional secretary at secretary**At_Symbol_Here**
Follow us on Twitter **At_Symbol_Here**acsdchas



We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do everything with nothing. Teresa Arnold paraphrased from Konstantin Josef Jire€?ek (1854 ‰?? 1918)


Samuella B. Sigmann, MS, NRCC-CHO

Senior Lecturer/Safety Committee Chair/Director of Stockroom

A. R. Smith Department of Chemistry

Appalachian State University

525 Rivers Street

Boone, NC 28608

Phone: 828 262 2755

Fax: 828 262 6558

Email: sigmannsb**At_Symbol_Here**


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.