From: Edward Movitz <movitz**At_Symbol_Here**OLEMISS.EDU>
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Motor Carrier Act
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 16:16:08 +0000
Reply-To: ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**PRINCETON.EDU>
Message-ID: BN6PR18MB140975B07F23E83C7C6CA21BD1CF0**At_Symbol_Here**
In-Reply-To <64a71aa7244f43428176383d2849b4e2**At_Symbol_Here**WinEx15Mbx05.SHSU.EDU>

Really quick rundown....

49 U.S. Code =A7 13501 - General jurisdiction:

The Secretary and the Board have jurisdiction, as specified in this part, over transportation by motor carrier

49 U.S. Code =A7 13102 - Definitions:
Motor private carrier.=97The term "motor private carrier" means a person, other than a motor carrier, transporting property by motor vehicle when=97
(A) the transportation is as provided in section 13501 of this title;
(B) the person is the owner, lessee, or bailee of the property being transported; and
(C) the property is being transported for sale, lease, rent, or bailment or to further a commercial enterprise.

Any person who transports hazardous material in commerce or causes hazardous material to be transported in commerce is subject to Federal hazardous material transportation laws.

A "person" includes: "a government, indian tribe, or authority of a government or tribe offering hazardous material for transportation in commerce or transporting hazardous material to further a commercial enterprise.

So, if you are a government agency (State University), moving government materials for a governmental purpose, from one governmental location to another governmental location - the transportation is not in commerce and is not subject to 49 U.S. Code =A7 13501 or 49CFR 171

If you ship hazardous materials using a service (fedex, ups, etc) you are subject to all of the regulations - just like anyone else.

Hope this helps.


Edward M. Movitz

Research & Environmental Compliance Officer / FSO

The University of Mississippi 

Laboratory Services

100 Health and Safety Building

P.O. Box 1848

University, MS 38677-1848


O:+1-662-915-5433 | F: 662-915-5480

movitz**At_Symbol_Here** | |  Laboratory Services Web Site

Please Consider the Environment before printing this Email.

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this e-mail and/or document(s) attached is for the exclusive use of the individual named above and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately delete this message and all copies of it from your system. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from reading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this e-mail or its contents in any way. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately.

From: ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**PRINCETON.EDU> on behalf of Battles, Paul <pmb024**At_Symbol_Here**SHSU.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:46 AM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Motor Carrier Act

Hello all,


Could anyone give me a quick rundown on the Motor Carrier Act of 1980 - 49 U.S.C. =A7=A7 13101-14916? Is this only for transporters or is there a compliance issue for Universities?






--- For more information about the DCHAS-L e-mail list, contact the Divisional membership chair at membership**At_Symbol_Here** Follow us on Twitter **At_Symbol_Here**acsdchas

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.