OHIO University is seeking a qualified applicant for a Laboratory Safety and Compliance Officer within the Facilities Management and Safety department.
Established in 1804, OHIO University is the oldest public institution of higher learning in the state of Ohio and the first in the Northwest Territory. Located in the scenic Appalachian foothills, its classic residential campus in Athens, Ohio, is one of the most attractive in the nation.
This position will be required to coordinate and carry out the day-to-day functions of a risk based auditing program of Ohio University Laboratories and Research Areas to ensure compliance with federal and state regulatory requirements. This position will assist the Biological Safety Officer and Chemical Hygiene Officer in support of other University safety and compliance matters.
1. Develops, implements, and supervises a schedule of periodic chemical safety inspections of Ohio University laboratories and facilities to insure adherence to the OSHA Laboratory Standard and the safe storage, use and disposal of chemicals.
2. Works closely with the Biological Safety Officer and Chemical Hygiene Officer to support the entire laboratory safety program of the institution.
3. Works with faculty and the Biological & Chemical Safety Officer to develop, maintain, and track Chemical Hygiene Plans, Biosafety Plans, Safety Animal Use Plans, and Blood Borne Pathogen Plans.
4. Creates, implements, and coordinates programs for testing and auditing of safety equipment in all areas of campus. This testing will include safety showers, eyewashes, autoclaves, and spill kits. Supervises a student worker who assists in testing of eye wash and safety shower equipment, per OSHA and ANSI.
5. Other duties as assigned.
Will be required to supervise student workers at times. This position does not supervise departmental safety personnel but is responsible for holding those people accountable for their responsibilities.
Successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the ability to conduct audits or quality assurance tasks, write concise summaries and follow-up on deficiencies.
Salary Range is $40,000 - $50,000
Click here for more information:
Biological and Chemical Safety Officer
171 University Service Center
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post