I'm not sure I can hang my hat on "hopeful". I was in the thick of trying to make change happen in my more than 13 years with the Laboratory Safety Institute
(LSI). But there needs to be a culture shift in how we teach science. Safety has to be an integral part of all science education. I continue the good fight here at the Museum and most of our educators do a great job of infusing safety into their fun science
lessons; I always tell them, you don't know who is in that audience- a teacher, an administrator, a future teacher or just a student that now has the confidence to speak up about the "cool" safety precautions that they saw and now ask why aren't we doing the
same. We aren't perfect by a long shot, but I'm proud of our staff.
There are so many opportunities to infuse safety into our lessons and to encourage risk assessments at all academic levels. After all- Safety is Elementary! There
has to be a way to get this message to a bigger broader audience and shift the culture of "Whoa! That was a close call" to "Wait! What are the precautions?"
I feel we need the help of the cool faces of science like Adam Savage, Steve Spangler, and Steve Nye to make safety a priority, to demonstrate and talk about
the importance of safety. And I think someone here mentioned petitioning YouTube to take down old experiments that only reinforce the "wrong" way to use alcohols in demonstrations.
But I am not hopeful that this lawsuit will make a change. Until I figure out the "magic" to getting this message out I will talk to anyone who will listen about
the pain Alonzo Yanes suffered, the bravery of Priest Rivera to be seen on the news in his bandages warning others about experiments involving the ignition of alcohol vapors and Calais Webber who still hasn't put the whole tragic moment behind her, but fights
the good fight and talks about what happened to her.
| Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Program Manager
Museum of Science
| Facilities Dept. |
One Science Park |
Boston, MA 02114-1099
From: ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**PRINCETON.EDU>
On Behalf Of Neil Edwards
Sent: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 10:13 AM
Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] Beacon HS student burned in botched chemistry experiment awarded nearly $60M
Hopefully, this huge jury award and the publicity generated by it will finally bring a decent amount of nationwide publicity to this ongoing problem, maybe enough
to make school boards sit up and take notice of what might happen if they don't properly train and supervise their science teachers.
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry
This email originated from outside of Long Island University. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
- LIU Information Technology
Oh they got it right. Blaming the board of Education who should have provided the rules. Once in a while the jury sorts through all the facts and figures it out.
Monona Rossol, M.S., M.F.A., Industrial Hygienist President: Arts, Crafts & Theater Safety, Inc. Safety Officer: Local USA829, IATSE 181 Thompson St., #23 New York, NY 10012 212-777-0062actsnyc**At_Symbol_Here**cs.com www.artscraftstheatersafety..org
From: Samuella Beth Sigmann <sigmannsb**At_Symbol_Here**APPSTATE.EDU
To: DCHAS-L <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**PRINCETON.EDU
Sent: Mon, Jul 1, 2019 04:00 PM
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Beacon HS student burned in botched chemistry experiment awarded nearly $60M
We, the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do everything with nothing.
Teresa Arnold paraphrased from Konstantin Josef Jire=C4=8Dek (1854 - 1918)
Samuella B. Sigmann, MS, NRCC-CHO
Senior Lecturer/Safety Committee Chair/Director of Stockroom
Appalachian State University
525 Rivers Street
Boone, NC 28608
Phone: 828 262 2755
Fax: 828 262 6558