From: Richard Palluzi <000006c59248530b-dmarc-request**At_Symbol_Here**LISTS.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: [DCHAS-L] Articles of interest
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 11:23:57 -0500
Reply-To: ACS Division of Chemical Health and Safety <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**Princeton.EDU>
I was recently asked for a list of all my articles on LinkedIn and decided to organize them by topic. I thought this might be of interest to some of the membership. Thank you.
Laboratory Hoods and Ventilation
- Where is the Best Place to Locate a Hood in a Laboratory?
- Can I Have an Electrical Outlet in a Hood?
- “We Have Ruined the Hood”: The Potential Hazards of Vaporizing Liquids In Hoods
- Hoods for Chemical Storage: The Issue We Would Prefer Not To Discuss
- Limiting Hood Openings: A Bad Idea
- Hood Sashes
- Hood Sashes: The Open (or Closed) Door Policy
- “Why Can’t We Put It In the Hood?”
- "Just Ignore That Noise, It's Just The Hood Alarm Again": Hood Alarms Issues
- Ventilation Dilution: A Safe Way to Avoid A Fire or Explosion or a Placebo?
- Ventilated Enclosures for Lowering Area Electrical Classification
- Ventilated Enclosures: Why Do They Often Fail to Work Properly
- The Ten Most Common Laboratory Ventilation Mistakes
- “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out”: Door Swings in Laboratories
- Exhaust Fans: Where Should They Be Located in a Laboratory Building?
- “Not Too Cold Please!”: Tempering Options for Safety Showers for Research Facilities
- Safety Showers: Often Specified But Less Often Thought Through
Laboratory and Pilot Plant Electrical Safety
- Laboratory Area Electrical Classification
- Runaway Heaters
- Flexible Cords: A Very Abused Connection in Laboratories
- Watchdog Timers
- High or Over Temperature Protection In a Research Environment
- Power Strips in Laboratories: How Shocking!
- GFI Protection for Laboratories
Laboratory and Pilot Plant Safety (General)
- Administrative Controls in Laboratories and Pilot Plants: When Might They Be an Acceptable Safety Measure?
- Restarting A Laboratory After an Unexpected Shutdown
- “But It Is Only A Laboratory”: The Often Overlooked Hazards Inherent in Laboratory Operations
- The Ten Most Common Laboratory Safety Issues
- “Do You Think We Should Consider This Risk”: The Need for Making Credible Scenarios in Risk Assessment “
- “How Could This Have Happened?”: The Often Overlooked Hazards of Moving Chemicals Within A Research Facility
- "But It’s Only an Instrument!”: Issues with Classifying Research Equipment
- Safe Where It Is; Safe Where It Is Going: The Often Unrecognized Hazards of Moving Research Equipment
- Electric Heaters for Research Vessels
- Laboratory Accidents: A Continuing Problem
- Some Comments on the Accident Investigations Report to the University of Hawaii at Manoa on the Hydrogen/Oxygen Explosion of March 16, 2016
- Glass and Pressure
- Periodic Overall Cold Eyes Safety Inspections: An Overlooked Tool in Pilot Plant and Laboratory Safety
- Preventing Fires and Explosions in Pilot Plants and Laboratory Units
Flammable and Combustible Liquid Safety
- What Do the Numbers Stamped on a Compressed Gas Cylinder Mean?
- Venting Gas Cylinders in a Laboratory
- The 10 Most Common Laboratory Compressed Gas Cylinder Safety Issues
- Storage of Incompatible Gases: Easily Said, Harder To Evaluate
- Toxic Gas Storage and Use Per NFPA 55: Hoods and Ventilated Enclosures in Research Applications
- Compressed Gas Cylinder Safety In Research Applications
Pilot Plants (General)
- What is a Good Definition of a Pilot Plant?
- What is a Pilot Plant
- Classifying Pilot Plants
Pilot Plant Design
- Should You Air Condition a Pilot Plant Space?
- Pilot Plant Safety Systems Parts I and II
- Best Practices for Heat Tracing Pilot Plants: Steam, Hot Oil, and Heated Enclosures as Well As Some Overall Issues
- Best Practices for Heat Tracing Pilot Plants: Constant Wattage Electric Heat Trace
- Best Practices for Heat Tracing Pilot Plants: Self Limiting Electric Heat Trace
- Pilot Plant Feed And Product Handling
- Pilot Plant Analytical Options
- How Big Do I Need To Build A Pilot Plant: The Vexing Question of Scale
- A Dozen Ways to Get the Most Pilot Plant for Your Money
- RTD’s Versus Thermocouples: Which Should I Use?
Pilot Plant Construction
- “But it’s More Expensive!”: Tubing or Pipe for Pilot Plants
- Pilot Plant Design Reviews: An Important Tool for Minimizing Start Up Costs and Improving Operability
- Lump Sum or Cost Plus: Which Makes Sense for Pilot Plants and Research Support?
- Modular Pilot Plant Construction
- Contracting Pilot Plants and Research Support: The Good, the Bad, And the Ugly
- Pilot Plant Project Management - Necessity, Overkill, or Just a Good Idea?
- 2012 Plenary Talk on Pilot Plants for the AIChE (On the Need for Pilot Plant Standards)
Pilot Plant Safety
- Can I Put a Pilot Plant in a Laboratory?
- Can you apply NFPA-45 to a Pilot Plant?
- Pilot Plant Safety Standards
- Types of Space Suitable for Pilot Plant Operations: Laboratories
- Types of Space Suitable for Pilot Plant Operations: Open Bays
- Types of Space Suitable for Pilot Plant Operations: Containment Cells
- Types of Space Suitable for Pilot Plant Operations: Separate Buildings
Research Cost Estimating
- “But That Means We Don’t Have Enough Money for Our New Laboratory!” The Dangers of Budget Estimates for New Laboratories
- "But What Will It Cost?" The Trials and Tribulations of Pilot Plant Cost Estimating
- The Practical Effects Of Budget Constraints
- Pilot Plant and Laboratory Unit Cost Estimates: Should We Progress the Idea or Not?
- We Need to Get Going on This Project”: Issues with Starting Research Projects too Early
- “We Need It Faster”: Issues with Accelerated Pilot Plant Schedules
- Reducing Pilot Plant and Laboratory Unit Construction Costs and Schedules
Research Start Up, Commissioning, and Troubleshooting
- “Not Another Leak!”: Leakage in Pilot Plants, Laboratory Units, and Laboratory Equipment
- Locating Leaks in Pilot Plants and Laboratory Units and Equipment
- Testing For Leaks In Pilot Plants
- “What Do You Mean It’s Off By That Much?”: Issues With Real World Vs Theoretical Instrument Accuracy
- Tips for Troubleshooting Pilot Plant and Laboratory Equipment
- Does Your Reactor Have a Case of the “Vapors”?
- Pilot Plant Start Up
- Continuity Plans
- The Most Common Pilot Plant and Laboratory Unit Commissioning Problems
- Off Hours Instructions for Laboratories: Necessary, Nice, or Nuisance
- Hydrostatic Testing of Pilot Plant Scale Tubing: Is it Necessary?
Richard P Palluzi LLC
72 Summit Drive
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post