Goutman told the jury the levels of PCBs detected in the teachers' blood tests were lower than what is typically found in the United States population, and that no students or teachers from the Sky Valley facility showed any unusual levels of PCB exposure in their blood work.
"What does that tell you about their theory that school has really high levels of PCBs," Goutman asked.
Goutman also argued that the types of PCBs found in the teachers blood did not match the specific type of PCBs used in the school's fluorescent lights.
Goutman acknowledged that the three teachers had health problems, but he argued they were due to the dilapidated condition of the aging school, which he told jurors the women had described in previous depositions as "filthy" and "old and run-down" and "the grossest, most disgusting building."
He argued the school had an extensive black mold problem, and that exposure to mold and dust was a more likely explanation for the teachers' illness. He said the treating physicians for all three women diagnosed them with allergies to mold.
Goutman said that the teachers' medical records would also show many of the ailments they link to PCB exposure resulted from pre-existing conditions.
"Many of the conditions the teachers claim is caused by PCBs they were in fact treated for before they started at SVC (Sky Valley)," Goutman said.
On Jul 31, 2021, at 7:39 AM, Ralph Stuart <ralph**At_Symbol_Here**rstuartcih.org> wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/29/monsanto-washington-state-teachers-fluorescent-lights?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Three US teachers who sued Monsanto over chemical exposure awarded $185m
Teachers, who worked in Monroe, Washington, said they suffered brain damage from exposure to PCBs in fluorescent lighting
Three schoolteachers in Washington state who sued the chemical company Monsanto over exposure to materials in fluorescent lights have been awarded $185m.
The law firm that represented the teachers, Friedman Rubin, said a jury returned the verdict on Tuesday in King county superior court. The teachers, who worked at the Sky Valley education center in Monroe, Washington, said they suffered brain damage from exposure to polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, in the fluorescent lighting at the school.
I wonder if anyone knows what types of exposures to PCBs are alleged in this lawsuit? I've reviewed 4 or 5 media stories (with nearly identical wordings) on the decision without getting any clarity on this. If this decision becomes a precedent, it will have wide-ranging impacts, probably wider than the asbestos situations.
Thanks for any information on this.
Ralph Stuart, CIH, CCHO
For more information about the DCHAS-L e-mail list, contact the Divisional membership chair at membership**At_Symbol_Here**dchas.org
Follow us on Twitter **At_Symbol_Here**acsdchas
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post