|Understand your MSDS with the MS-Demystifier||Search ALL our MSDS info|
Do not confuse this with the term indigestion, which is an upset stomach.
Be sure that all containers are properly labeled. NEVER STORE CHEMICALS OF ANY SORT IN FOOD CONTAINERS. Do not store food and chemicals in the same refrigerator. Children can not read labels, so keep all chemicals out of the reach of children. If applying pesticides with a hose sprayer, be sure to use a backflow preventer to keep toxic materials from backing up into your drinking water line.|
Always have your poison control center phone number handy with your other emergency information. A good first aid kit will contain activated charcoal to absorb ingested poisons and perhaps syrup of ipecac to induce vomiting (but induce vomiting only if the MSDS or poison control center tells you to).
Finally, always clean up chemical spills as they can lead to unexpected ingestion. For example, children and dogs find antifreeze (ethylene glycol) to be very sweet-tasting. Ingestion of ethylene glycol can lead to liver failure and death, especially if not treated quickly.
Proper signage can warn your employees about workplace hazards and policies. Get yours at Safety Emporium.
Entry last updated: Monday, August 22, 2016. This page is copyright 2000-2018 by ILPI. Unauthorized duplication or posting on other web sites is expressly prohibited. Send suggestions, comments, and new entry desires (include the URL if applicable) to us by email.
Disclaimer: The information contained herein is believed to be true and accurate, however ILPI makes no guarantees concerning the veracity of any statement. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. ILPI strongly encourages the reader to consult the appropriate local, state and federal agencies concerning the matters discussed herein.