reply-type=response There were many things that could have been used. PCBs were used as heating oils and microscope density liquids. They would have most certainly used benzene, methylene chloride, and carbon tetrachloride. You mention, the floors are asbestos, I'd like to see that. You also have to look at all the benchtops and hoods which may be asbestos. If the piping is still present on the lab benches, I would think it might be lead paint. I would think my biggest worry other than the asbestos would be mercury in the drain traps. Henry Boyter, Jr., PhD Director of EHS Services Institute of Textile Technology ----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry D. McLouth"
To: Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 12:54 PM Subject: Re: [DCHAS-L] 1920's College Chem Lab > If by heavy metals you mean mercury then you are more than likely to find > it....from broken thermometers, etc. > > Larry > > Julie Jarrah wrote: >> I am part of a group who is determining the safest way to 'tear down' an >> old college chemistry lab building that was built in the 1920's. We know >> that the underlying floors are asbestos and that heavy metals are a >> concern. >> Are there any other major concerns that I should be aware of or need to >> look into? Please advise. >> >> Thank you, >> J J Schwartz >> Safety Officer >> Bethlehem, PA >> 610-625-8047 >> >> >> >> ____________________________________________________________________________________ >> Need a vacation? Get great deals >> to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel. >> http://travel.yahoo.com/ >> >
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post