Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:06:22 -0500
Reply-To: "Tsiakals, Nicholas John" <tsiakals**At_Symbol_Here**ILLINOIS.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: "Tsiakals, Nicholas John" <tsiakals**At_Symbol_Here**ILLINOIS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular gastronomy
In-Reply-To: <48A020E1942E024DB0F2A6B68A1312440773A457A5**At_Symbol_Here**>

At first glance, looks to me like a LN2 accident from an inexperienced user.  If he condensed oxygen amid fuel or combustibles, the resultant oxygen-enriched combinations could be shock-sensitive.  If h e charged a container with LN2 and then closed it off, upon warm up the press ure spike could cause catastrophic failure of a container.

Just my thoughts off the cuff…



Nicholas J. Tsiakals

Division of Research Safety

Chemical Safety Section

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

(217) 244 - 0682

From: DCHAS-L Discu ssion List [mailto:DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Debbie M. Decker
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:19 AM
To: DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [DCHAS-L] FW: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular gastronomy

Excuse the cross-postings:

This tidbit is from our food safety officer.  From this pi ece, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.  I did a bit of digging – here’s a wiki entry on the concept:  http://en.wikipe  But no more information about this incident than below.

Have any of you heard of this?  Do any of you might have s ome insight on how this incident might have occurred?  We have a large and active Food Science department and they’re always coming up with new ways to produce food.  We would like to be able to head them off from somet hing dangerous before we have a similar incident.

Thanks for your speculation and input.



Debbie M. Decker, Campus Chemical Safety Officer
Environmental Health and Safety
University of California, Davis
1 Shields Ave.
Davis, CA  95616
(530)754-7964/(530)752-4527 (FAX)
Co-Conspirator to Make the World A
Better Place -- Visit www.HeroicS and join the conspiracy

From: Susan Cumming s
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:05 PM
To: Debbie M. Decker
Subject: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular gastrono my

GERMANY: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular gastronomy
Sydney Morning Herald
AFP lar-gastronomy-20090714-dj0r.html
An experimental German cook accidentally blew off both his hands attempting to concoct a "molecular gastronomy" dish with liquid nitrogen, a newspaper report said on Monday.
The 24-year-old man from Stahnsdorf near Berlin somehow obtained some of th e dangerous chemical and was poised to try out a new recipe from the school o f molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to gastronomy.
There was an "enormous explosion", according to the Berliner Morgenpost daily.
The man lost one hand in the explosion and the other was so badly injured i t had to be amputated.
The man, who was staying at his girlfriend's mother's house, was rushed to hospital where his condition was described as life-threatening. He is on artifical respiration.
He claimed he was trying to fill a gas lighter, but his girlfriend said he was trying to empty a canister of liquid nitrogen.
< /i>

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.