Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:09:51 -0400
Reply-To: ILPI <info**At_Symbol_Here**ILPI.COM>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: ILPI <info**At_Symbol_Here**ILPI.COM>
Subject: Re: FW: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular
Comments: To: "Debbie M. Decker"
There was a fairly good
article on the topic in MIT's Tech Review not too long ago.
Subscription only (MIT alumni get the magazine for free); here's
the URL for those who can access it through school/corporate
You basically have self-trained folks working
with stuff like liquid nitrogen (which is, incidentally, how Dippin'
Dots ice cream is made) and other such novelties....eventually someone
is gonna screw up. The article cited below is clearly sketchy,
but one can suppose that if someone was handling a closed container of
liquid N2 that yeah, they could severely injure
Original report is apparently here,
Looks like only one lost/shredded hand.....the
original report apparently indicated the wrong
On Jul 15, 2009, at 11:18 AM,
Debbie M. Decker wrote:
This tidbit is from our food safety officer. =46rom
this piece, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. I did a
bit of digging - here=92s a wiki entry on the concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_gastronomy But no
more information about this incident than
Have any of you heard of this?
Do any of you might have some insight on how this incident might
have occurred? We have a large and active Food Science department
and they=92re always coming up with new ways to produce food. We
would like to be able to head them off from something dangerous before
we have a similar incident.
Thanks for your speculation and
Debbie M. Decker, Campus Chemical Safety
Environmental Health and Safety
University of California, Davis
Davis, CA 95616
Co-Conspirator to Make the World A
Place -- Visit www.HeroicStories.com and join the
From: Susan Cummings
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:05
To: Debbie M.
Subject: Experimental cook blows
hands off trying molecular
GERMANY: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular
Sydney Morning Herald
An experimental German cook
accidentally blew off both his hands attempting to concoct a "molecular
gastronomy" dish with liquid nitrogen, a newspaper report said on
The 24-year-old man from Stahnsdorf near Berlin somehow obtained some of
the dangerous chemical and was poised to try out a new recipe from the
school of molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to
There was an "enormous explosion", according to the
Berliner Morgenpost daily.
The man lost one hand in the explosion and
the other was so badly injured it had to be amputated.
The man, who
was staying at his girlfriend's mother's house, was rushed to hospital
where his condition was described as life-threatening. He is on
He claimed he was trying to fill a gas
lighter, but his girlfriend said he was trying to empty a canister of