Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:28:59 -0400
Reply-To: jsbonnell**At_Symbol_Here**FUSE.NET
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: jsbonnell**At_Symbol_Here**FUSE.NET
Subject: Re: FW: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular
Seems obvious: He was working up a new recipe for cold cuts.

> This tidbit is from our food safety officer.  From this piece, it makes
> absolutely no sense whatsoever to me.  I did a bit of digging - here's a
> wiki entry on the concept:
>  But no more
> information about this incident than below.
> Have any of you heard of this?  Do any of you might have some insight on
> how this incident might have occurred?  We have a large and active Food
> Science department and they're always coming up with new ways to produce
> food.  We would like to be able to head them off from something
> dangerous before we have a similar incident.
> Thanks for your speculation and input.
> Debbie
> ---------------------
> Debbie M. Decker, Campus Chemical Safety Officer
> Environmental Health and Safety
> University of California, Davis
> 1 Shields Ave.
> Davis, CA  95616
> (530)754-7964/(530)752-4527 (FAX)
> dmdecker**At_Symbol_Here**
> Co-Conspirator to Make the World A 
> Better Place -- Visit
>   and join the conspiracy
> ________________________________
> From: Susan Cummings 
> Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:05 PM
> To: Debbie M. Decker
> Subject: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular gastronomy
> GERMANY: Experimental cook blows hands off trying molecular gastronomy
> 14.jul.09
> Sydney Morning Herald
> ecular-gastronomy-20090714-dj0r.html
> An experimental German cook accidentally blew off both his hands
> attempting to concoct a "molecular gastronomy" dish with liquid
> nitrogen, a newspaper report said on Monday.
> The 24-year-old man from Stahnsdorf near Berlin somehow obtained some of
> the dangerous chemical and was poised to try out a new recipe from the
> school of molecular cooking, which aims to apply scientific processes to
> gastronomy.
> There was an "enormous explosion", according to the Berliner Morgenpost
> daily.
> The man lost one hand in the explosion and the other was so badly
> injured it had to be amputated.
> The man, who was staying at his girlfriend's mother's house, was rushed
> to hospital where his condition was described as life-threatening. He is
> on artifical respiration.
> He claimed he was trying to fill a gas lighter, but his girlfriend said
> he was trying to empty a canister of liquid nitrogen.
> ********************************************************
> This communication and any files transmitted with it
> may contain information that is confidential, privileged
> and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. It is
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
> to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
> dissemination or copying of this communication is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this
> communication in error, please notify the sender.
> Thank you for your co-operation.
> ********************************************************

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.