Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 17:09:32 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: KU student critical after possible poisoning at school lab

KU student critical after possible poisoning at school lab

The Wichita Eagle
A University of Kansas graduate student is in critical condition at a Lawrence 
hospital this morning, the result of a suspected accidental sodium azide 
poisoning that may have occurred while he was working in a lab late 
Wednesday night, school officials said.

As a precaution, Malott Hall, where the lab is located, was temporarily 
evacuated early today and was inspected by KU's Office of Environment, 
Health and Safety. The building later was reopened.

The university also sent text and e-mail messages to students, faculty and 
staff this morning to notify them of the situation. 

Read more:


Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.