Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:56:34 -0500
Reply-To: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sender: DCHAS-L Discussion List <DCHAS-L**At_Symbol_Here**LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: List Moderator <ecgrants**At_Symbol_Here**UVM.EDU>
Subject: 5 Chemical Safety News Stories from google


Chemical catastrophe at Leppington
02 DEC 09 **At_Symbol_Here** 08:05AM BY TORIN CHEN

Police and NSW fire brigade HAZMAT officers don protective clothing at 
the Leppington farm after the chemical incident yesterday. Picture: 
A LEPPINGTON woman has died and her husband, son and ambulance officers 
have been hospitalised after being exposed to an unknown chemical.

An ambulance was called to the Byron Rd property about 2.50am yesterday 
after the woman, 69, collapsed in the laundry.

Her husband, 76, went to investigate after hearing a noise.

The Ambulance Service of NSW said the woman was in cardiac arrest when 
paramedics arrived.

Camden police=92s Det-Insp Paul Albury said paramedics were unable to 
revive the woman.

=93Ambulance officers attempted to perform CPR but were unable to 
continue due to being overcome by an odour being emitted from the 
deceased woman,=94 he said.

The fire brigade=92s hazmat team was called and the husband, son, and 
four ambulance officers were taken to Liverpool Hospital.

An ambulance service spokesman said the group suffered headaches and 

Camden police set up a crime scene at the property, which will remain in 
place until hazmat gives the all clear.

A substance analysis is being carried out to identify the chemical but 
it could take several days.

A Liverpool Hospital spokeswoman said the four paramedics were 
discharged yesterday morning while the father and son remain in 



Modesto Post Office Evacuated for Chemical Smell
MODESTO, CA - A Modesto post officehas been evacuated and closed after 
two workers experienced dizziness and coughing caused by a chemical 
odor, according to a Modesto fire department official.

The post office is located at 2300 Sylvan Avenue.  
The affected employees were working in the customer service area and 
have been taken to a local hospital, said Capt. Jerardo Avila with the 
Modesto Fire Department. He said emergency responders evacuated 21 
people from the building.

A type of spray, similar to pepper spray which postal workers are 
required by the Modesto Police Department to carry on their routes, may 
be to blame, Avila said.

The facility will remain closed, Avila said, until authorities deem it 
safe to reopen.



Chemical spill near freeway contained

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Firefighters and hazmat crews with multiple fire departments from 
throughout Delaware County responded to a hazardous chemical spill at an 
area truck stop Tuesday morning.

More than 300 gallons of what was thought to be potassium hydroxide, an 
acidic chemical, were spilled around 11 a.m. Tuesday by a semi truck at 
the Pilot Travel Center on U.S. 36/Ohio 37, officials said. Initially 
thought to be a small leak, upon further investigation it was determined 
to be a more significant leak, prompting a larger response from area 
fire departments...



Fouled air leads to Fresno State dorm evacuation 
Published online on Monday, Nov. 30, 2009
The Fresno Bee 

A residence hall at California State University, Fresno, was evacuated
Sunday night after an unknown substance fouled the air in a third-floor
hallway, officials said.

Students and staff at Graves Hall left the building at 11:15 p.m. and
remained outside for about two hours, Fresno State spokeswoman Shirley
Armbruster said.

No one was seriously injured.

Between 25 and 30 students reported scratchy throats, itchy eyes and

The Fresno Fire Department's hazardous materials team and American
Ambulance were called to the hall. 

Students were examined by paramedics and determined to be unhurt,
Armbruster said.

About 200 students and five staff members were in the hall when the
incident occurred. 

The incident is being investigated by university police and housing


Rhode Island

East Greenwich

Gas leak prompts evacuation of high school

The high school was evacuated for about 45 minutes Monday morning 
following a natural gas leak in the newly renovated science wing. There 
were no injuries.

Peter F. Henrikson, deputy chief of the East Greenwich Fire District, 
said the leak was apparently caused by a janitor who placed stools on a 
science lab table, accidentally opening a gas jet with one of the stool 

It is not known how long the valve had been open, but the gas filled the 
room and was beginning to fill the school.

School officials used the fire drill system to evacuate the building, 
but they neglected to activate the actual fire alarm.

As a result, the fire district didn=92t learn about the leak until 7:29 
a.m., when the police, who were on the scene to direct traffic, called 
to ask where the Fire Department was.

By the time firefighters arrived, six minutes later, school workers had 
used the emergency shutoff switches outside each science room to turn 
off the gas, and the school was being aired out.

Students were allowed back in about half an hour later, said Capt. 
Richard Denice.

Previous post   |  Top of Page   |   Next post

The content of this page reflects the personal opinion(s) of the author(s) only, not the American Chemical Society, ILPI, Safety Emporium, or any other party. Use of any information on this page is at the reader's own risk. Unauthorized reproduction of these materials is prohibited. Send questions/comments about the archive to
The maintenance and hosting of the DCHAS-L archive is provided through the generous support of Safety Emporium.