Very interesting about that potassium hydroxide, an acidic compound. Shows how misinformation is often found in early incident reports. > [Original Message] > From: List Moderator
> To: > Date: 12/2/2009 8:59:57 AM > Subject: [DCHAS-L] 5 Chemical Safety News Stories from google > > Australia > > http://liverpool-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/chemical-catastrophe/ > > Chemical catastrophe at Leppington > NEWSEMERGENCY SERVICES > 02 DEC 09 **At_Symbol_Here** 08:05AM BY TORIN CHEN > > Police and NSW fire brigade HAZMAT officers don protective clothing at the Leppington farm after the chemical incident yesterday. Picture: ROBERT POZO -PO806531 > A LEPPINGTON woman has died and her husband, son and ambulance officers have been hospitalised after being exposed to an unknown chemical. > > An ambulance was called to the Byron Rd property about 2.50am yesterday after the woman, 69, collapsed in the laundry. > > Her husband, 76, went to investigate after hearing a noise. > > The Ambulance Service of NSW said the woman was in cardiac arrest when paramedics arrived. > > Camden police’s Det-Insp Paul Albury said paramedics were unable to revive the woman. > > “Ambulance officers attempted to perform CPR but were unable to continue due to being overcome by an odour being emitted from the deceased woman,” he said. > > The fire brigade’s hazmat team was called and the husband, son, and four ambulance officers were taken to Liverpool Hospital. > > An ambulance service spokesman said the group suffered headaches and nausea. > > Camden police set up a crime scene at the property, which will remain in place until hazmat gives the all clear. > > A substance analysis is being carried out to identify the chemical but it could take several days. > > A Liverpool Hospital spokeswoman said the four paramedics were discharged yesterday morning while the father and son remain in hospital. > > == > > California > > http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=71148&catid=2 > > Modesto Post Office Evacuated for Chemical Smell > > MODESTO, CA - A Modesto post officehas been evacuated and closed after two workers experienced dizziness and coughing caused by a chemical odor, according to a Modesto fire department official. > > The post office is located at 2300 Sylvan Avenue. > The affected employees were working in the customer service area and have been taken to a local hospital, said Capt. Jerardo Avila with the Modesto Fire Department. He said emergency responders evacuated 21 people from the building. > > A type of spray, similar to pepper spray which postal workers are required by the Modesto Police Department to carry on their routes, may be to blame, Avila said. > > The facility will remain closed, Avila said, until authorities deem it safe to reopen. > > == > > Delaware > > Chemical spill near freeway contained > > Wednesday, December 2, 2009 > > Firefighters and hazmat crews with multiple fire departments from throughout Delaware County responded to a hazardous chemical spill at an area truck stop Tuesday morning. > > More than 300 gallons of what was thought to be potassium hydroxide, an acidic chemical, were spilled around 11 a.m. Tuesday by a semi truck at the Pilot Travel Center on U.S. 36/Ohio 37, officials said. Initially thought to be a small leak, upon further investigation it was determined to be a more significant leak, prompting a larger response from area fire departments... > > == > > California > > Fouled air leads to Fresno State dorm evacuation > > http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/1729990.html > Published online on Monday, Nov. 30, 2009 > The Fresno Bee > > A residence hall at California State University, Fresno, was evacuated > Sunday night after an unknown substance fouled the air in a third-floor > hallway, officials said. > > Students and staff at Graves Hall left the building at 11:15 p.m. and > remained outside for about two hours, Fresno State spokeswoman Shirley > Armbruster said. > > No one was seriously injured. > > Between 25 and 30 students reported scratchy throats, itchy eyes and > coughing. > > The Fresno Fire Department's hazardous materials team and American > Ambulance were called to the hall. > > Students were examined by paramedics and determined to be unhurt, > Armbruster said. > > About 200 students and five staff members were in the hall when the > incident occurred. > > The incident is being investigated by university police and housing > officials. > > == > http://www.projo.com/news/content/news_digest_01_12-01-09_L9GKTID_v12.3a64dc 4.html > > > Rhode Island > > East Greenwich > > Gas leak prompts evacuation of high school > > The high school was evacuated for about 45 minutes Monday morning following a natural gas leak in the newly renovated science wing. There were no injuries. > > Peter F. Henrikson, deputy chief of the East Greenwich Fire District, said the leak was apparently caused by a janitor who placed stools on a science lab table, accidentally opening a gas jet with one of the stool legs. > > It is not known how long the valve had been open, but the gas filled the room and was beginning to fill the school. > > School officials used the fire drill system to evacuate the building, but they neglected to activate the actual fire alarm. > > As a result, the fire district didn’t learn about the leak until 7:29 a.m., when the police, who were on the scene to direct traffic, called to ask where the Fire Department was. > > By the time firefighters arrived, six minutes later, school workers had used the emergency shutoff switches outside each science room to turn off the gas, and the school was being aired out. > > Students were allowed back in about half an hour later, said Capt. Richard Denice.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post