Australia http://www.thechronicle.com.au/story/2010/01/29/explosion-rocks-newtown/ Explosion rocks Newtown Megan Masters | 29th January 2010 A 17-year-old male is assisted into an ambulance by paramedics after a potassium chlorate explosion in Talgai Court, Newtown. Kevin Farmer THE sleepy neighbourhood of Targai Court was rocked by an explosion when mixing chemicals went wrong for a 17-year-old male. Toowoomba Police sergeant Bob Coleman said it seemed the boy had been conducting some kind of science experiment involving potassium chlorate and possibly petrol. Potassium chlorate is used to manufacture explosives, fireworks and safety matches as well as other commercial uses. It is a highly reactive chemical and has been known to spontaneously combust. =93At this stage the matter is still under investigation, but it appears the 17-year-old has performed a science experiment that went wrong. =93He suffered burns to his face, hands and his body was singed. =93This is a timely reminder for people to think of the dangers of playing with chemicals and fuels which can result in injuries, burns and even death.=94 The boy was taken to Toowoomba Hospital for treatment and assessment to decide if he required transport to a Brisbane burns unit. === Utah http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14286724?source=most_viewed Five arrested, accused of setting off homemade bombs at Salt Lake school field By Bob Mims The Salt Lake Tribune Updated: 01/28/2010 09:40:29 PM MST Two men and three women were in jail Thursday following their arrests for allegedly setting off homemade explosives on Salt Lake City's West High School football field. Detective Dennis McGowan said the suspects were booked into Salt Lake County Jail late Wednesday on third-degree felony counts of possessing and setting off incendiary devices. The arrests came after officers, alerted to blasts coming from the site near 200 North and 300 West, converged on the five, all 19-20 years old, about 9:15 p.m. Officers reported that two of the devices -- fashioned from water bottles, chemical toilet cleaner and aluminum foil -- were set off before they could move in. Three more of the homemade explosives were found at the scene, along with the makings for others, McGowan said. McGowan said it did not appear the devices caused any significant property damage, and no injuries were reported.
Previous post | Top of Page | Next post