Links to details available at
TNT found on campus
Engineering students and
staff had an explosive surprise after a staff member found a small
amount of TNT in the Schulich School of Engineering building last
technician found about half a kilogram of a chemical suspected to be
trinitrotoluene, during a routine review of chemicals in storage
facilities. U of C research communications manager Grady Semmens
explained that the material, found in a sealed container, was clearly
identified as 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene, otherwise known as TNT.
university hazardous materials group was contacted to determine the
safest way to dispose of the material and the decision was made to
contact Calgary Emergency Services," said Semmens.
US_ID: Boise Fire crews keep Borah High classroom closed for one
more day as a precaution after mercury spill
Fire crews cleaned up a small mercury spill in a classroom in the old
gym at Borah High Wednesday but found Thursday morning that one floor
tile still had a small amount of the chemical on it so they decided to
close the classroom for an additional day just to be
Boise School District officials say 15 students at
Borah High tested negative for mercury exposure after a student broke a
bracelet that had a pea-drop sized amount of the element inside it
during an English class Wednesday in the old gym
Australia: Chemical spill in Golden
CFA and the Environmental Protection Authority were yesterday
investigating the scene of an accidental sodium hypochlorite leak into a
drain in Golden Square.
Road was closed for a short time while officers scoured the scene of the
leak, which Fire Officer Rob Bryans said happened sometime in the past
week or the week before.
=93We believe approximately a thousand litres of
sodium hypochlorite has leaked into a drain,=94 he
=93CFA and EPA were just on scene managing the
He said the chemical was a basic pool
The spill was believed to have been =93just
accidental=94 and would be cleared from the drain.
US_PA: Chemical Mix Causes Scare In Washington
Chemical Mix Causes Scare In
To Disposed Of Chemicals Cause Stink
CANTON TWP., Pa. -- Workers trying to
dispose of materials at a Washington County plant caused a chemical
scare on Thursday.
Fire and hazmat crews told Channel 4 Action News that
two chemicals were mixed together in a barrel while workers were trying
to dispose of them at Ferro in Canton Township.
When the sodium nitrate and hydrochloric acid were
mixed, they emitted a powerful odor.
crews were called to the scene to make sure everything was safe for the
workers and residents nearby.
Australia: Chemical leak at Port of Brisbane
has been used to remove a container from a ship at the Port of Brisbane
amid fears of a chemical leak.
Fire and rescue crews were
called to the scene about 3.25am after workers reported a strong odour
coming from the shipping container while still aboard the
The container has been lifted from the ship and opened
for inspection by HazMat crews, a Department of Community Safety
"It is understood the chemical is a resin or glue-type
No one has been injured or evacuated, however the
exact cause of the leak and the chemical involved is still to be
US_OR Teen faces federal charges in chemical explosion at Crater
MEDFORD, Ore. - The teenager
who says he set-off a chemical bomb as a prank at Crater High School is
now facing federal charges.
He appeared before a judge in juvenile court
The Jackson County District Attorney's Office says the
16-year-old police believe set off a homemade bomb at the high school
plead not guilty. He is charged with possession and manufacturing of a
destructive device, both federal offenses. He is facing "C" felony
charges. If found guilty, he could be fined or placed on probation, even
up to his 25th birthday.
Detroit school explosion was actually chemical leak
-- (03/04/10) -- Authorities say a homemade chemical device released
"powerful fumes" and some liquid in the hallway of a Detroit school and
that a student has been taken into custody.
Police spokesman John Roach says no one was injured in the Wednesday
incident at the Phoenix Multicultural Academy on the city's southwest
side. He says the bomb squad recovered the remains of the
The pre-kindergarten-through-8th grade school with 540
students was evacuated and students were transferred to the nearby
Roberto Clemente Learning Academy. Detroit Public Schools' spokeswoman
Jennifer Mrozowski says authorities aren't releasing the suspect's
identity or details.